Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Not Quite 12 Days of Blogging: All 3 Star Wars Radio Dramas for OT are Online!

On the third day of my Not Quite 12 Days of Blogging I give to thee, three Star Wars radio dramas! If I had a time machine, I wish I could go back to yesterday a couple hours sooner when I made my discovery on Youtube. Now, I had been meaning to include a Star Wars post among my Not Quite series since we can pretty much expect a new Star Wars movie every holiday season. I got busy and the next thing I knew it The Last Jedi was out... and reactions were... polarized. My original intent yesterday was to do a Star Wars themed blog entry. All the mixed reactions to the latest Star Wars movie made me... less enthused to blog about Star Wars.


So I decided to spend time on Youtube. After all, decent internet is available to me. Again. Why not browse Youtube. Then after midnight this morning, I stumbled upon my discovery.


The Star Wars Radio Dramas for the Original Trilogy are available on Youtube. Some are whole. Others are split into installments. For fans of the Original Trilogy whom are feeling let down from The Last Jedi, here's a taste of yesteryear when Han shot first.


For the uninitiated National Public Radio (NPR) produced two Radio Dramas for the first two Star Wars movies, Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars produced back in 1981 was noteworthy as it included many scenes cut out of A New Hope. During the 90's, transcripts were released in book format for both Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back Radio Plays.


While no radio plays were produced for Return of the Jedi during the 80's. I distinctly remember listening to an audio recording of the film as a kid. Guess, a private company later produced a radio version during the 90s.


Here's the all three radio plays in the their full form. You may want to use these a basis for your own forays on Youtube to listen to these Original Trilogy Radio Plays at your leisure.


Star Wars 1981






Has walloping run time of 4:55:53 so you'll probably want to plan of several intermissions!




Empire Strikes Back 1983




Not quite as long. Only a run time of 3:35:26...




Return of the Jedi 1996






Hey this one has a run time of 2 hours and 55 minutes! It could be a very long movie today!


Happy listening and may the force be with you!


Next time.









No comments: