Thursday, December 7, 2017

Been A Long Time Since My Last Palladium X-Mas Grab Bag And They're Digital Now Too!



Christmas time rapidly approaches. Meaning snow, Santa, holiday cheer, various religious customs, and presents await! Another tradition going, at, or more than a decade is also underway. What tradition is that you may ask? Why Palladium Books X-Mas Grab Bag, of course!


For those unfamiliar, Palladium Books had a universal role-playing long before the d20 system roared upon the scene. From Fantasy to Rifts to Dead Reign to licensed properties such as Robotech and the defunct TMNT & Other Strangeness, Palladium adapted its rules system to cover a swath of genres. The company is very mom and pop, which strives to give back to its fans.


I'd describe the Palladium Books X-Mas Grab Bag; but Santa Kev (the owner of the company) explains so much better than I can. The ad copy is this.


Once upon a time, I would semi-regularly ask for or purchase a Palladium X-Mas Grab Bag. My budding Palladium collection grew in size. Most of the time, I ordered after Christmas. Another unspoken tradition is Palladium usually decides to extend the special past Christmas. Plus, the autographs were cool too! Unfortunately, with my time away from RPGs, the luster of ordering an annual grab bag faded. Didn't really seem practical either.


This year is different. This year marks a regular year for gaming. My interest in table-top rpgs has increased. Old games and companies are on my radar once more. Would be a nice blast of Christmas past if I were to acquire or ask for an X-Mas Grab Bag from Palladium.


On the other hand, the Palladium Megaversal System is a rules set I rarely play. Doubt I would find a group that would want to play it either or our schedules would mesh. Furthermore, I own boxes and boxes of unused books bearing the logo Palladium Books. While the nostalgia is nice, storage is an issue. In fact, my most recent purchases from Palladium has been the ebook variety from Drivethru RPG.


I should fret not. For Santa Kevin is on the case! The year 2017 marks the very first Digital X-Mas Surprise Package. INSERT ad copy. Palladium has steadily increased its digital offerings so there's quite a bit to choose from. Bonus: I need to worry duplicating what I already have! Digital back-ups would be nice... Been thinking of expanding my Palladium ebook library anyway...


Although all this talk of digital books aside, browsing through Palladium's catalog, there's a quite a bit of limited hardcovers that are more within my price range than a decade ago. But, I digress. Well, maybe not, they could be grab bag wants from the physical Surprise X-mas Grab Bag...


In any case, time isn't quite of the essence. I will decide all in due time. If I do, you can be sure I will blog about it.


Happy Gaming!


Next time.

No comments: