Tuesday, December 12, 2017

5 Takeaways From Final D&D 5E AL Session of 2017



Monday, December 11th holds the honor of being the final Dungeons & Dragons 5E Adventurers League session that I will participate in at my FLGCS during the year 2017. Not only will this be second of my 5 Takeaways for AL (and in general) but my last such for D&D. Everything goes right, barring winter related hiccups, next week's will be Shadowrun-related.


Five Takeaways for 12/11/2017


  • DM Adjudication and Flexibility Made the Session - Was a fun game to play in. Much of that was because of how the DM adjudicated the rules and rules related to the session itself. Plus, the DM altered the nature of one encounter such that it followed the preceding encounter much more organic than otherwise.


  • I Love Being a Tortle!- As an example of the first takeaway, the DM allowed my PC's using his tortle ability retreat into his shell to have a much, more positive impact than the encounter's rules would have allowed. Coolest tortle moment for the PC yet!


  • Firbolg-Tiefling pile - Following one of the coolest ad hoc moment of the module (all to due PCs except mine coming up with ingenious solutions), the tiefling hanging from an overhead rope bridge dropped down into the arms of the firbolg PC underneath. Both failed their Athletics/Acrobatics checks and tumbled into a pile. Table erupted into laughter. Fun times.


  • Tiefling-Demon-hunting Paladin rivalry - This may be the second or third module both the tiefling and paladin adventured together with. The paladin has a problem with tieflings. Meanwhile the tiefling enjoys antagonizing the paladin. At one point, the tiefling tossed a child (who had caused trouble for the paladin) from a rope bridge down toward the paladin to catch. Later on during a combat the tiefling pretty much saved the paladin. During another fight, the paladin dispatched some foes that were battling the tiefling. Swear once I blog the game session re-cap, half the write up will be devoted to these two.


  • Feeling better about basic monk abilities but not much the more ninja-related ones - Yep, my tortle is indeed a monk following the way of shadow, ie ninja. Felt I had a better grasp of and utilized the basic uses of Qi during this session. Didn't Flurry of Blows when I should have dodged or any such. Didn't feel I used an unnecessary Step of the Wind. On the other hand, I haven't used any of the Way of Shadow stuff yet. Playing next to a rogue, I feel it pales in the stealth department. Even choosing the Skulker feat, I'm not quite feeling the shadow warrior concept yet...


That's it for now. Happy gaming!


Next time.




No comments: