Thursday, June 12, 2008

Review: Rann-Thanagar Holy War #1

Picked up a copy last Tuesday. Yes, the day before new comics day as well as the day before issue two came out. I was planning to wait for the trade. Problem is that waiting for trade can extend past when the actual trade comes out! So I bought a copy of Rann-Thanagar Holy War #1 as an impulse to see whether or not I wanted to read the series.

Flip-Test:
A concept a learned when I was working at a comics shop was the flip-test. The flip-test is when a customer flips through a book to gauge whether or not that comic is good. Based on the flip test, I wasn't sure whether or not I would pick up issue two. The art didn't grab me.

The actual review:
In a nutshell, I liked it. The issue is paced in such a way that the flip test may not be the best gauge as one has to actually read it. Like most issues, Starlin introduces the reader to some of the concepts and characters involved.

Pros: The diversity in character types adds value to the book. A mixture of heroes, "working stiffs"/scoundrels, and "villains" abounds. Looking forward to reading about the exploits of Hawkman, the 52 trio (aka Adam Strange, Animal Man, and Starfire), and the Captain Comet. In one panel, Starlin points out that current social and environmental concerns would render an alien invasion unnecessary. Issue one contains a nice blend of humor and commentary along with a hint of action and intrigue to come. Another key feature is reader accessibility. I didn't feel as if I was missing anything crucial in order to enjoy this story.

Mix: The art. Its not bad its just that I didn't recognize it as Ron Lim. Lim's art style has changed since his stint on Silver Surfer and Captain America.

Con: As a space story, many characters will appear during the story to come. Some of the characters seem to have the same personality at times.

Overall, not a bad first issue. I give Rann-Thanagar Holy War #1 three out of five stars. A very solid first outing. I have since picked up issue two.

No comments: