Sunday, June 29, 2008

Pathfinder Session Brief 6/24/08

I realize I'm late posting the latest report of my Pathfinder playtest Age of Worms campaign. Just been delayed to some concerns of mine...

The PC's that started the 6/24/08 session:

Grinsen Barr NG 1st level cleric of Yondalla. Domains: Community, Protection. Parents own bar.
Worken Onet LN 1st lvl Cleric of Heironeous. Domains: Law, War. Connected to church.
Tywin Lighthair CN Wiz1 Conjuror. Apprenticed to Allustan. Won't use Necromancy and Enchantment spells.
Joy Feelgood LG Rog1. Unemployed/homeless.
Cilborith CG Fighter 1. Works for Moonmeadow.

Quotes and Humorous comments:
Player of Grinsen Barr made jokes about touching people and "exciting" them with the Community domain power.
Joy to skeleton lying on the ground, "Are you okay?"

Cilborith "Cause I like going into dungeons where I can get killed."
Rurik replied "Why not?"

I suppose you may be wondering, Rurik who? Well, I'll get to that soon. Anway, the PCs decided they didn't want to fight another swarm nor venture underwater so they climbed back up to the upper floor. Moved the pointer towards the blue lantern. Nothing happened. They then noticed something humanoid shaped lying on the ground at the end of the tunnel. Being cautious the party sent Joy down the tunnel alone to investigate. While searching both the ground and at eye level, Joy discovered that it was a skeleton. She rejoined the rest of the party. They moved the shaft towards the Indigo lantern. A cylindrical shaft rose up out of the ground. I jumped the gun and referred to it as an elevator. The PCs stared at it cautiously. And watched it cautiously. Cautiously. Finally, Tywin had enough and walked down the tunnel and entered the elevator, "blindly". A successful Intelligence check and a failed Wisdom check and Tywin realized something was wrong. She stayed in the elevator until rounds later when it was revealed that it was a false elevator trap that crushed everything inside. First PC death. I felt bad cause I felt that I messed something up. Sure enough I did. Based on the number of hit points the Pathfinder option gives the PC wouldn't have died from the damage alone. However, the elevator sunk into the ground. So unless the other PCs could mover the shaft lever around four or five times which includes a difficult strength check, Tywin would die from suffocation. Alas, I didn't prepare or read the module as well as I should. Didn't learn that until after the fact. After DMing and playing for fourteen or fifteen years, I learned something new.

Afterwards the players, pushed the lever a couple times towards the lantern with the working elevator.

I'll continue the rest of my report later.

3 comments:

James Mishler said...

Heya Matt, I'm pretty sure you are referring to the 6/17 Pathfinder session here; 6/24 was a Greyhawk 1E session.

So how did the 7/2 Pathfinder session go?

James Mishler said...

Er, crap, the 7/1 session... stupid calendar.

Matt C said...

Yeah, I'm referring to the 6/17 session. Got confused with dates.

The Pathfinder 7/1 session didn't happen.