Saturday, January 13, 2018

Putting Crom Back Into Marvel



Did you hear the major announcement regarding 2019?


No, not Cosmos returning for a second season although I am quite excited for more cosmic goodness explained for those of us without degrees in astrophysics.


Why Conan is returning to Marvel Comics in 2019!


At first I was like 'what Disney bought Conan!' then I realized that Marvel had acquired the license to Conan comics.


Must admit I am somewhat ambivalent about this news. Marvel's previous run of Conan comics ended on a what we'll call lackluster at best. On the other hand, I long stopped buying Dark Horse's Conan comics quite some time ago. More out of practicality as I couldn't keep up. The frequent restarts didn't help. Probably explains why Dark Horse has been aggressively releasing omnibuses of their work but no new Conan comics.


As for Marvel, I am curious if any of the old Marvel stuff will appear on their digital unlimited service. Definitely, hope they release them via a nice shiny omnibus format. I may actually break open the wallet if they do as usually don't buy omnibuses unless they are heavily discounted. Yep, couple omnibuses of both Conan the Barbarian and Savage Sword would be mighty keen.


As for new comics, I kind of hope they apply legacy numbering to the "new" Conan the Barbarian title. Sure, Star Wars started from a brand new #1 but restarts were the thing. The lure of Marvel Conan is the old Roy Thomas Conan. If you can't have Roy Thomas, at least continue the old numbering. Regardless, if it's been a couple decades since the previous issue...


Other than, I await further announcements from the House of Ideas. One can say, Crom will be put back into Marvel.


Happy Reading!


Next time.

No comments: