Friday, January 26, 2018

Marvel Digital Unlimited Upgrade Saga: Didn't Read All the Directions



If you recall, I spent a couple blogging entries discussing updating my Marvel Digital Unlimited subscription via a gift subscription I received for Christmas. The first installment was the unboxing of the box of goodies. Second installment was my rant of frustration. I ended by mentioning that I may pursue cancelling the subscription and then proceed with the gift subscription. Here is my story of that short adventure.


After logging into my account, I go to account status. In my mind, the upgrade section has information on cancelling an account. In hindsight, a rather bizarre notion but bear with me. Once the upgrade screen loads, I read the phrase "if you want to upgrade immediate, please call..."


Then I noticed the line about the upgrade occurring once my current annual membership ends. Huh. Didn't notice that before. Weird.


If I am reading everything correctly, my account will upgrade once my current time span ends and the auto-renewal would occur.


Which I didn't notice before.


Because I didn't read all the instructions. Like they teach in school. Sigh.


In my stubbornness to admit my rant was partially inspired by a snap judgment from not reading everything, I reload the screen a couple times. Yep. I read that wrong.


However, I really want to implement the gift subscription without calling. There's funky symbols in the code. Mathematical symbols. Heck, they're symbols old comic book writers would use in place of cuss words. The customer service rep might think I am swearing at them. Okay, maybe on the inside...


So I click on cancel my membership. Once prompted with a screen asking for a reason along with an 'are you sure' prompt, written in bold is "subscription will end on (insert date) when annual subscription ends". Okay, I am paraphrasing but my current subscription won't expire with a cancellation until it would normally end.


Meaning I can't just cancel my current subscription and switch right away to the gift subscription. Plus, I have a feeling the upgrade programmed in will occur automatically before I have a chance to do the switch. Otherwise, delaying until my current subscription terminates is too long of a wait for a Christmas gift subscription.


Calling Customer Service it is then. Which I was putting off because I didn't read all the directions. Sigh...


Till my next installment.

No comments: