Sunday, July 1, 2018

The DC 100-Page Giant Scavenger Hunt



My childhood is full of vivid memories of checking the magazine racks and toy sections in grocery stores, pharmacies, and general merchandise retailers for comic books. Never knew when a new comic would catch your eye. Heck, titles were assorted so there was little sense of where to go to buy which title.


The thrill of the hunt! Well, the thrill of searching for new comics on the stand anyway.


Then I discovered comic book shops. Didn't have to guess or check if a comic book title was there. Whether or not a given issue of specific title was available was another matter. For awhile, I could also check out the newsstand as well. Unfortunately, the comic book selection outside of comic book shops gradually diminished...


Again the thrill of securing a given issue and the agony of missing any.


So when my local comic shop began using a pull list, I eagerly adopted it. Sure, I have bucked away from pull lists from time to time but the majority of my comic books my FLCGS sets aside for me.


As such the thrill of finding an issue just isn't there. Granted, there's a different thrill but I wouldn't call that a positive...


On another tangential note, while I am old enough to have seen the original 80-page and 100-page Giants DC published years ago, I am not THAT old. However, due to the defunct Comics Buyers Guide, I've read quite a bit about them. Such that, I am nostalgic for them despite never reading any of them. As far as I can recall anyway.


What were the 100-Page Giants you ask? Well, here's 13 covers from the classic 100 page Super Spectaculars from the 70's. Just screams comics to me.


Anyway, DC and Wal-Mart have united to bring the old the tradition. There are four titles: Superman, Batman, Teen Titans, and Justice League of America. Twelve page original stories and the rest reprints all New 52/Rebirth friendly. Details are also available via a link on the covers link.


The rub is it's exclusive Wal-Mart. The display only holds five at a time. Hopefully, they get re-filled at some point.



Unfortunately, the local Wal-Mart was all out of the Teen Titans book. So hopefully I can track down a copy or they re-stock it at some point.

Regardless, it brought back memories of hunting down issues of comic books, while tickling my sense of nostalgia.

Next time.


No comments: