Wednesday, July 4, 2018

4th of July Legendary: Captain America Battles Red Skull



Today, July 4th, marks Independence Day in the United States of America. To mark the occasion, I wanted to do something Captain America-related. I conceived of reading the Captain America stories from America's Bicentennial year (Bicentennial Battles & Madbomb) and playing a game of Solo Legendary using the Advanced Solo rules featuring Captain America versus his nemesis the Red Skull over the Cosmic Cube.


Well, Madbomb clocking in at roughly 8 issues is to long of a story for me to read within one day. A read for another time.


When I started reading Bicentennial Battles on Marvel Digital Unlimited, I realized I wasn't going to be able to both read and blog by tonight's end.


Therefore, I settled on the Solo Legendary game. The heroes were: Steve Rogers, Director of SHIELD, Captain America (Steve Rogers), and Captain America 1941 (Steve Rogers) trying to prevent the Red Skull aided by a Sentinel and the forces of Hydra from Unleashing the Power of the Cosmic Cube. Took snapshots until I realized it wouldn't be pragmatic...


Round 1 Started on a horrific note with Master Strike followed a Scheme Twist before I could play my hand.


So had to KO one of my heroes before I began...



Recruited a Captain America 1941 Hero so Turn 1 wasn't a complete loss...



Turn two and Supreme Hydra enters the battlefield but I recruited another Cap 1941!




Three more rounds later and three Scheme Twists later and things aren't looking good for Captain America!






More pummeling as more iterations of Captain America are KO'd and another Scheme Twist and Master Strike take their toll...




Managed to clear the board of three Hydra goons before Supreme Hydra escaped...




Unfortunately, none of the different eras of Steve Rogers ever generated enough Attack to combat the Red Skull even once! Before I knew and all 8 scheme twists were drawn and the Cosmic Cube unleashed. 
 
                                     


Rather dour end, eh? Solo play is difficult and Steve Rogers just might not be the ideal hero to be the sole hero in a Solo game. I'm thinking a re-match is in order. Either a solo game of the three different Captain Americas (Steve, Bucky, and Falcon) or solo two-handed game with all three Steves, Falcon-Cap, and Winter Soldier just might beat the Red Skull.


Now to read Bicentennial Battles...


Happy Independence Day America!


Next time.

No comments: