Saturday, July 28, 2018

Price Seems Right For DC's New Subscription Service



Took the last couple weeks off from blogging. During that time SDCC occurred as well as the announcement of DC's new subscription service's, DC Universe, price point. The latter is the topic for tonight's entry.


If you recall, I expressed my excitement for the new subscription service. So much, I was probably going to give it a try. After reading what the price will be, it's practically a given.


For the curious, you can read up on prices along with DC Universe's contents here.


Not bad. Not bad at all. I already pay $7.99 a month for Hulu and $10.99 a month for WWE Network. So $7.99 is well within my comfort zone for the time being. Heck CBR did a price comparison with a streaming services, cause DC Universe is primarily a streaming service, here.


For the most part I agree with CBR. The depth of backlist isn't huge. Quite frankly, it's still unknown how much DC television and film will be available. However, all the other bells and whistles along with the possibility for no commercials improves the package.


Plus there's the comics and community forum. While the latter isn't important to me, the former is pretty much the deal maker for me. If DC Universe truly has a rotating selection of a thousand comics, it'll be worth it for the digital comics alone.


Heck, one could potentially make comparisons to Marvel's Digital Unlimited. The price is a little less than Marvel's monthly subscription but on par for the annual subscription. Which is kind of weird because the annual subscription for DC Universe is cheaper than its monthly... Goes to show Marvel Digital Unlimited is better purchased on annual basis as opposed to monthly...


Yes, Marvel Digital Unlimited has an ever expanding back catalog. While DC Universe's rotating catalog troubles me, the rotation may force me to actually read the comics as opposed to adding them to my watchlist indefinitely.


Plus, unlike Marvel Digital Unlimited, the meat and potatoes of DC Universe is the television and film media. One isn't just using DC Universe to read comics.


So all things considered, the price point practically secures my purchase of a subscription. In fact, the extra three months added to pre-ordered annual subscription calls to me. Fifteen months for annual subscription prices? Hello! I've had an annul subscription to Marvel Digital Unlimited on and off for years. Saves quite a bit of hassle; and I'm not pressure to "use a month's worth" each month to get my money's worth.


There you have it. Consider me a pre-order adopter of an annual subscription holder to DC Universe.


Next time.

No comments: