Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Halloween 2017: All Hallows' Eve

Might as well cut to the chase:


Happy Halloween!


Must confess I didn't do too much Halloween-related today. Not trick-or-treating. Didn't eat any candy. Was going to read the DC House of Horror one-shot after watching tonight's episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow set during Halloween but after fast-forwarding through the episode (yeah, I know shouldn't do that) I discovered next week's episode is set during the Victorian era and may feature vampires. So I figured I will watch that episode later.


As for the DC comic, I may read it tomorrow. Speaking of comics, while I didn't attend Halloween Comicfest, I did pick up some of the comics when I played Shadowrun Missions yesterday. They are: The Friendly Ghost Casper, Donald Duck's Halloween Scream, Shiver, Ghostbusters: Happy Halloween, and Hellboy and the BPRD 1953 The Witch Tree and Rawhead and Bloody Bones. With any luck, I'll be able to spend a huge chunk of Halloween day 2 (ie All Saints Day) reading comics!


What I did do was take advantage of One Book Shelf's Halloween sales and bundles. Discovered that the Barovia modules for Adventurers League (AL04) were cheaper via the bundle (@ 40% off) and thus the better option. While I was at it, I picked up the Mummy: the Curse (nWOD) bundle and a Monster comics bundle (has the Doctor Mirage trade from Valiant). Then I realized I could pick up the core book and all five supplements for Palladium Book's Dead Reign much cheaper than normal. For those unfamiliar with Dead Reign, it is Palladium Book's post-zombie apocalypse setting. While I already own a copy of the core book, I don't have easy access to it and watching The Walking Dead puts me in a zombie apocalypse mood. Don't know if I would ever run it though.


Then I check out some Halloween-related links:


The pumpkin genome has been sequenced.


Here's a quick history of pumpkins. Fun fact: Europeans had never seen them before coming to North America.


The pumpkin produces a compound that is a natural disinfectant!


I must confess I haven't seen the newest version of the movie IT. Here's how Stephen King's work such IT parallel the Cthhulhu Mythos.


Viking zombies and the means of dispatching them can be read about here.


Now, I think I am going to watch some Halloween movies!


Next time.





No comments: