Wednesday, June 29, 2016

My Two Cents on Boom's July for September '16 Previews Solcitations

We're days away from July. Today is the final Wednesday of the month of June so the July Previews Catalog has reached the stands. So to continue my jump ahead look at July's solicitations, here's my thoughts on Boom's July for September 2016 solicits. A link for those that want to follow that either don't have a copy of Previews or don't desire to pick up a copy is HERE.


  • SKYBOURNE #1 (of 5) - Frank Cho of Liberty Meadows fame starts a new title where Arthurian elements mix with the antics of James Bond and Indiana Jones. Could be neat. Not much to go on with the solicit here.
  • JOYRIDE VOL. 1 TP  - Nice low price of ten dollars. Reprints the first four issues so cheaper than the individual issues. A sci-fi story about teenagers stealing off into the night or in this case the universe. The biggest selling point is the price point as the concept doesn't call to me although it would if I was much younger perhaps.
  • THE OFFICIAL ART OF BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA HC - A companion book to the making of book. Kind of cool. Only thirty years after the film's debut.
  • ROWANS RUIN TP - Haven't read the series itself so I don't know if this is a haunted house or a house with secrets story. Written by Mike Carey so it should be good.
  • KLAUS HC - The Grant Morrison story about Santa Claus Year One is collected in a nice shiny hardcover. Last Christmas/Yule/Whichever seasonal holiday you prefer, Klaus #1 was one of the comics that I planned to review as part of celebration of the season. So... my hope is to do that as well as the entire story next holiday. Since I've purchased the entire mini-series, I won't be getting this.
  • VENUS TP - Like the show Lost and the book/movie the Martian except on Venus. Intriguing.
  • SLEEPY HOLLOW: PROVIDENCE TP - While I am a fan of the show Sleepy Hollow not sure if I want to read a comic adaptation. However, the writer is one of the shows creators so this should be about as authentic as Whedon-written Whedonverse comic.
  • JIM HENSON’S LABYRINTH TALES HC - More Labyrinth abounds in this children's book. Don't know if this is reprinted or an original work.
  • MOUSE GUARD: LEGENDS OF THE GUARD BOX SET - Mouse Guard receives the slipcase treatment! Still haven't read my copy of the first book...
Thus concludes my two cents on Boom Studios' July/September 2016 solicits. Honestly, by the time, I reach Boom my budget does not have much wiggle room so I have gotten used to skimming or passing over the section. One nice thing about writing my thoughts on various publishers' solicits is that I may not have noticed these offerings. A problem with Previews is that the further into the catalog one goes, the less attention those offerings receive. A crying shame.

No comments: