Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Image, IDW, and DC June-August '16 Solicitation Highlights

Earlier today, I posted what some ruminations on Boom and Marvel's June for August 2016 solicits. I find it can be draining to write it all in one go. So I decided to split them into groups. For next month's solicits, I may try individual publisher write-ups. We'll see.


Here's a link to Image's June 2016 solicits:
  • THE BLACK MONDAY MURDERS #1 - Imagine if supernatural forces used the banking cartels to control the populace. The former Vampire: the Masquerade player is intrigued. Kind of topical to the current political environment as well...
  • KILL OR BE KILLED #1 - A vigilante who kills bad people reluctantly. So Punisher with a conscience?
  • DEMONIC #1 (OF 6) - A cop who makes a faustian bargain. Meh.
  • LAKE OF FIRE #1 - An alien invasion occurs during the Inquistion. Could be a good sci-fi/historical mash-up.
  • SPAWN #266 - Todd McFarlane and Erik Larsen teaming up on a Spawn/Savage Dragon team-up issue? Cool!
Here's a link to IDW's June '16 solicits:
  • The Adventures of Augusta Wind, Vol. 2: The Last Story #1 - Didn't read the first volume ; but J.M. DeMatteis's all-ages work is top-notch.
  • Atomic Robo and the Temple of Od #1 (of 5) - A new Atomic Robo story begins! I'll probably wait for the trade or the super-duper trade such as...
  • Atomic Robo: The Hell and Lightning Collection - collects three Atomic Robo stories!
  • Jackboot & Ironheel #1 (of 4)  - a WWII horror story. Not much to go on based on the solicit.
  • March Book 3 - The graphic novel depiction of the Civil Rights movement continues. Wonder if there'll be a giant omnibus edition?
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The IDW Collection, Vol. 3 - For quite some time, I purchased the IDW continuity via trades. Then I stopped. Replacing the trades with nice shiny hardcovers could be rather cool albeit expensive. However, I wouldn't have to worry about any gaps.
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #1 - A second IDW-verse Turtles books starts. Not sure if I want the pamphlet or wait for the trade...
  • Duck Avenger #0 - I've purchase just about every reproduced translated Disney comic that IDW published. Disney characters as super-heroes don't thrill me. Think I'll pass on this one.
Here's a link to DC's June '16 solicits:
  • The Rebirth one-shots are: BLUE BEETLE, DEATHSTROKE, SUPERGIRL, SUICIDE SQUAD - I plan on picking up all of these in order to sample the new titles.
  • All the new issue ones starting this month: ALL-STAR BATMAN, BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY, DEATHSTROKE, HARLEY QUINN, THE HELLBLAZER, RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS, SUICIDE SQUAD, SUPERWOMAN - I've learned never say never to trying a new book. All these will be impulse buys that I buy off the rack although I may pick of Hellblazer and Superwoman for sure.
Next month, I'll try and devote more space to DC. By then Rebirth should normalized; and I'll have better idea of what I prefer and don't. While I miss the free samples of DC You, I do appreciate that DC did not release every new title at once ala New 52 and DC You.

No comments: