Friday, June 24, 2016

Musings on Dark Horse's September 2016 solicitations

July is almost upon us. Next week, Diamond Comics July Previews catalog containing September solicitations will also be upon us. Rather than wait until early to mid July to provide my two cents on various comic publishers' solicitations, I'd figure I would start now especially since they've been available since mid-June...


Instead of commenting on whichever solicitation strikes my fancy for the month of July, I'll just gab about first issues and trades although my coverage will be one or two publishers at a time.


Today's entry is Dark Horse Comics September 2016 solicitations. You can read a full list HERE.
  • Aleister & Adolf HC - famed occultist Aleister Crowley employs a mystical weapon against the Axis powers. Interesting, but very pricey for such a low page count book. I suppose one could view as an OGN...
  • Aliens: Life and Death #1 (of 4) - Get the feeling that this mini is a continuation of another story. Which the solicitations does not mention what that story is. However, writer Dan Abnett does tremendous work; and I'm sure Aliens fans would love more Aliens comics.
  • Archie Archives: The Double Date and Other Stories TP - another collection of archival Archie stories contained in a more affordable softcover edition. I have to say while Archie reprints some of the classics those collections are scattershot throughout a multitude of volumes. So it's nice to see a more serialized collection series.
  • Astrid Volume 1: Cult of the Volcanic Moon TP - I'm not as interested in the story for its sci-fi setting but that the creator, Kim W. Andersson, is Swedish. As an American comics, European comics and works by Europeans are either a luxury or one doesn't know that it's by a European. The $20 for 144 pages is pretty good deal too.
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1954—The Black Sun #1 (of 2) - A new Hellboy story! I confess much of my exposure is via the two movies...
  • Rise of the Black Flame #1 (of 5) - Another BPRD series begins. Not sure if this is an origin story or not...
  • The Strain: Mister Quinlan—Vampire Hunter #1 (of 5) - Fans of the FX show The Strain and the books upon which it is based my want to check this out as it concerns the beginnings of one it's characters.
  • Tarzan on the Planet of the Apes #1 (of 5) - What's that? Tarzan and Caesar know each other? Could be interesting. I will say the premise is rather cool.
That rounds up my two cents on some Dark Horse's offerings. More thoughts on more publishers will follow.

No comments: