Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Rifts UE: Wild Shots should be more common

Recently, I realized something about combat in Palladium's modern games. The last Rifts game that I attended (wasn't able to make yesterday's) a concern was brought up. That concern was that why wouldn't a character be covered head-to-toe in MDC armor? Otherwise, an opponent makes a called shot to the exposed area ... and game over. I could go on but that tangential can serve as fodder for a future post.

In a nutshell, Rifts UE ranged combat rules need prevalent wild shots. Why? To address the concern above. Wild shots hinder called shots. Heck, by the rules, they make them impossible. Can't make called shot if the shot is wild.

When would that occur? Look up what conditions cause a wild shot. Hmm. Those conditions should be very common during combat. For example, movement and panic cause a shot to become wild.

1 comment:

mikelrysk said...

I agree completely, but for sake of time and my propensity for being kind to my players, I decided to just run with the called shot = dead Simvan. Me not being to worried about the rules with me just starting out with the Rifts Megaverse, with time this summer, my rules for game should become more closely related to what is actually within the books. But the question that still remains in my mind is at what point does rules become more important than just having some fun with your friends? I think the answer is that rules should never trump having fun. Sorry for not knowing the rules 100% before trying my hand at running Rifts.