Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My Reaction to WotC's PDFgate Part 1

When I read over on James Mishler's blog that WotC had pulled its PDFs from OBS, I was irked. As time grew and I learned more, I became upset. I am an example of a customer who purchased legacy D&D PDFs. WOTC's removal of the ability to use up the remaining downloads of those legacy products, as well as purchase of other legacy products, irritates me. This irresponsible action hinders my ability to download replacement copies, purchase other old products, and harms my faith in OBS. If WotC can do this, what's to stop other publishers from doing this as well? Heck, I have been considering purchasing PDFs of the soon-to-be-discontinued Dying Earth RPG. Can I trust that those Dying Earth files that I purchased will be available past the end of April? And the source of this lack of confidence, an attempt to prevent piracy. By removing a legal avenue for PDFs, piracy will be fought. Mind-boggling.

All that said I could see how all the anger towards Wizards was overblown. And I'll make those comments in a month or two. If I care enough to remember to post, I am one of the affected customers. I don't want to waste my energies defending Wizards.

Sadly it was along my desire not to defend Wizards that eventually led to me desire to make this post. Over in the comments section of the OBS rant, James Mishler made a couple comments that shattered my attempts to remain calm and rational about the PDF situation. I have known and gamed with James for about four years. During this time, I played the role of devil's advocate. When 4E was announced and coming, I practically played the role of a patron saint. From personal experience, I knew that at the Tuesday game there would be a rant against WotC. With history as a guide, I would defend Wizards. Didn't I say that I didn't want to defend them. So irrationally I became upset.

I remained upset such that I was unable to make my comments until now. Taking a sabbatical from all forms of D&D was looking like the only option. Yep, 'don't sweat the small stuff' is not my forte. Although I will admit I had reached my acceptance phase when I went to tonight's game. After all by that point in time, I had purchsed a 3.x D&D book. So I doubted that any sabbatical would last. One of the pick up games is D&D. My resolution was looking more and more childish. By the time I got to where we game, I had decided that there wouldn't be any sabbatical. There the general consensus was that it didn't pay to be angry over the latest angering move by Wizards/Hasbro. Why sweat over what is unimportant in the long run?

Two positives have emerged. As Zachary the First mentions, with links, on his blog, other companies are offering deals on some PDF products. Hopefully, more bargains will be offered in the future. Perhaps more silver linings will emerge from this cloud?

The second positive that has emerged from this ... event... is that I am now willing to make a Classic Traveller character. So I wouldn't mind if we played some Classic Traveller instead of AD&D 1E. I have always wanted to play Traveller, especially the classic version given my current interest in older games. My only obstacle was that I didn't want to make a character. After all, why make a CT character when we could play 1E instead? Hopefully, this event will lead to some CT playing. I know the other players and James have invested a lot of time and effort into a Traveller campaign that hasn't been played.

I think its about time that changed. That is if everyone is willing.

2 comments:

Zachary Houghton said...

I do hope more companies take advantage of this and get some new players through sales.

Classic Traveller is a blast! If that's where you end up, have fun!

Matt C said...

That's basically the silver lining I was referring to. I remember the days of multiple games systems fondly.