Friday, October 13, 2017

Follow-up to Vintage Marvel Animated on Hulu along with Marvel's Inhumans First Impressions

Friday the 13th is winding down and I figured I cap the day with... a non-Halloween/horror post. Cause it's not just Friday the 13th, today is three days after the supposed expiration of vintage (okay 1990s vintage, sheesh!) Marvel Animated shows on Hulu along with the third week (and fourth episode) of Marvel's Inhumans.


First off, everyone such as myself who had those old Marvel animated shows (Fox Spider-Man, X-Men, Spider-Man Unlimited, X-Men Evolution, Iron Man Armored Avenger) at the bottom of their queue can relax. After the 10th when I logged onto Hulu to check to see if those shows expired, not only had they not expired but Hulu treated them as brand new shows! Don't know why but it certainly provides more time to watch them. Right? Hoping this doesn't mean they are "new" shows for a couple months and then expire.


Second, speaking of Marvel shows of more recent vintage, today marks the initial broadcast of the fourth episode and third week of Marvel's Inhumans.


Now, I understand Marvel's Inhumans didn't start with the best acclaim. I suppose much of that had to due with the first two episodes being shown on IMAX first. Got to say, those first two episodes are be-yoo-ti-ful. Much glossier than the more recent two. Folks also paid money to see it; and the IMAX showing didn't contain a couple exposition scenes the television debut had. While I felt the first two episodes were stellar, I did watch them on the television. As a movie that I paid money for, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much. Plus, the bad press could be because the Inhumans are new and unfair comparisons with the X-Men are being made.


Okay, I am not a fan of Maximus terragenesis on the show being transformed into a human and not a super-genius who's very, very off his rocker. Well, Maximus does come across as both very bright and high on the megalomania scale on the show though. Perhaps, the lack of Kirby tech is glaring omission?


While watching the first couple episodes, I got a Basilisk vibe when each of the characters demonstrated their Inhuman power as each power was deployed to strategic effect in a surprising manner. Much like the ninjas in that anime/manga demonstrate their unique gifts. Black Bolt and Medusa's romantic relationship, although much less tragic, along with the "dueling" families also contribute to that impression. Okay, I am kind of reading into that comparison a little too much. Haha! The body count is much, much less than Basilisk.


For the first time, I fully understand why Black Bolt doesn't and will not kill Maximus. The difference between watching on screen versus a static page.


Next time.

No comments: