Monday, October 16, 2017

AL: My Confusion Over Season 7 Death Curse Cleared Up

Last month, only blogged twice during September so the entry should be easy to find, I vented my confusion over the Season 7 Death Curse and how it effects older characters. PCs whom died and are unlikely to be played in Season 7 mods.


As a refresher, much of my irritations was due to the timey-wimey nature of Adventurers League. AL was never really concerned over time lines before. At my FLCS, our 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons AL characters can expect to play a regular season module one week only to play a replay of an earlier season module the next. I've had the rotten luck to only have one AL PC not need to be raised from the dead.


Turns out, the answer I sought was to be found in the Death Curse Primer downloadable from DM Guild as part of the DM packet.


First, Season 7 modules WILL cover a timeline. Sort of. For a player such as myself who has several PCs whom would be subject to the Death Curse, I can't play those characters in any Tier 1 or Tier 2 Season 7 modules or two consecutive community created content modules. Plus, the Tomb of Annihilation. Given I can only really play D&D at my FLGCS on their RPG nights, Tomb of Annihilation isn't really an option for me.


So that lead to second point, I can play all those characters in any earlier season AL module to my heart's, and FLGCS's, desire. Again, CCC (Community Created Content) mods are the exception to this. I can play one of those and only one per PC until...


Third, the new year marks the end of the AL-wide "Death Curse Banner Decree". Come January 2018, Adventurers League considers the events of Tomb Annihilation to have been completed as Tier 3 and Tier 4 modules occur after the events of the hardcover module. So all the PC that sat out, can be played once more. I'm guessing for players like your truly would have to play a surrogate for a Death Cursed-PC in a Tier 3 module in order to break the curse for said PC. That last part is a little unclear...


So there you have it, my AL Death Curse question has been answered for the most part. Simply don't play my other PCs until the New Year unless they are Season 1 - 6 and associated Hardcover modules. As for the PCs that do, I suppose January 2018 will answer that question.


Happy Gaming!


Next time.

No comments: