Monday, March 2, 2009

Thoughts on Marvel's GN offerings for May

Although a bit later than I would have liked, here are thoughts on Marvel's graphic novels that are solicited with the May previews.

Marvel Masterworks: Atlas Era Black Knight/Yellow Claw V1 HC - In a perfect world, I would so order this. As I'm collecting Agents of Atlas, I am very much interested in reading the old Jimmy Woo stories. These stories combined with the Arthurian-esque stories of the Black Knight make this very appealing to me. Alas, I can't really afford a Marvel Masterwork at this time. Unless I made serious changes to how I buy my comics I can't afford to buy one in hardcover format at this time...

Which brings me to MM: Amazing Spider-Man v2 TP a softcover version of the hardcover. This would be tempting but two problems. One, I already have a copy. Two, as much as cheaper versions of the Masterworks are right up my alley, I have discovered I'd rather own a hardcover version rather than a softcover version. So until I get over my faddish obsession over hardcovers or circumstances change, I'm going to pass on the softcover MM's. Won't stop me from talking about them though.

Hulk: World War Hulk HC - The super duper hardcover version of the trade paperback... As I own Planet Hulk, this is tempting. What concerns me is the padding that fills the rest of the page count. I mean is the Marvel Spotlight and PH saga really worth it?

X-Men: Manifest Destiny HC - Much like the Uncanny X-Men: Manifest Destiny HC from last month, this is tempting. I'm a long-time X-fan who has been turned off by how much one has to buy/read in order to follow the X-mythos. So these mega hardcovers are attractive to me for a reason that I could use an entire entry for. That aside, Wolverine involved in Chinatown action strikes me a cool.

Avengers Forever HC - About time this was collected...in hardcover format (or at all if not previously collected). I read this maxi-series when it came out. A really good story, which made me a fan of several characters. I think I have the original issues still ... so I won't be getting this. Just wait, I'll discover that either I no longer have them or they exist in such poor condition that I wish I got this when I had the chance. Sigh.

Spider-Man Noir Premiere HC - I love noir. I love Spider-Man. Waited for the trade. If I'm able to, I'm so getting this.

Spider-Man: Family Ties Premiere HC - Guess Marvel is collecting the Amazing Family title along with a one-shot. The only appeal this holds for me is the J.M. DeMatteis story along with the Man-Thing one-shot. If I acquire this, it would have to be cheaper.

I applaud marvel for the Balder and Black Widow hardcovers. Reprinting some of the older tales in hardcover is fantastic. Unfortunately, my applause of such a venture has tended to be symbollic.

Illiad TP - Want to read the Illiad without having to read the text? Well, how about graphic adaptation then? Sadly, this may be the only way I'd actually get around to reading the story.

Marvel Saga TPB - Why would anyone buy this since one could have picked up all three installments from a comics retailer for free? I suppose if you missed them at the shop I could understand the appeal. I know I don't have all three.

Ultimate Galactus Trilogy SC - Looks like the hardcover version may not last for much longer. Thanks Marvel for the incentive to pick up that version.

Fantastic Four: True Story - Paul Cornell. Fantastic Four. Voyage to the realm of fiction. Has my attention.

Dead of Night: Devil-Slayer - Like the character/concept. This story appears to be a 'modernization' of the character.

No comments: