Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thoughts on Marvel's May '09 Solicitations

One feature I miss was thefourthrail's commentary on the latest Previews catalog. For quite a while, I have meaning to do something similar on my blog. I was going to start with April solicitations but since May solicitations are on the web I changed my mind. Rather than cover the "entire" catalog at once, I figured I'd break it down into four parts. The four parts are Marvel, DC, other comics companies, and games/videos. The latter two I'll provide commentary once I have a copy the catalog. Keep in mind this isn't necessarily a wish list on my part. Its basically me commenting on whatever provokes discourse. Today, I'm going to provide my thoughts on what Marvel is soliciting for May.

On with the show:
Halo Uprising HC - I might be remembering things wrong but I thought this was offered earlier..

Comics based on novelists' fiction - I'm glad that Marvel is continuing the Raymond E Feist adaptations. The original Dark Tower stories are continuing which is cool. Alas the biggest appeal for me is in book and not pamphlet form. On a less positive note, I don't quite see the appeal of a comic version of the Stand. But considering I have bought comic adaptations of Conan stories I probably shouldn't be throwing stones.

Marvel's 70th Anniversary - I really like the concept of the index. What I'd really like to know is whether or not it will be collected in trade. Same for the special one-shots Marvel is releasing. If their not collected into a trade, the one-shots would have an aura of specialness. As for index, I'm waiting for the trade. But even if its, I feel sorry for those that bought it in pamphlet form.

Soleil Imprint - Absolutely love the fact that Marvel is bringing these European comics to the States. Problem is that I'm not quite ready for four or five dollar comics quite yet. Or at least not if they are going to wind up in book form.

Trojan War - Wonder if this going to be a much, much shorter version of Age of Bronze. Definately interested...

Spider-Man the Short Halloween - Cause three times a month wasn't enough. Here's a one-shot for more solo Spidey fix.

And on that note... Amazing Spider-Man Family is now monthly. Yep. Another monthly. On the bright side it features more than just Peter.

New Avengers 53 - Wow, Carol Danvers appears to be on the New Avengers team! Ok, I don't actually read this title but I wasn't aware that she is now on this team. Plus I consider it to be more noteworthy than what the story is about. New Sorceror Supreme? Must be a new decade.

Dark Reign: Young Avengers/ DR: Hood - Hey more stories about villians. How unappealing. Guess Ellis's Thunderbolts is now a franchise. The Hood story seems to have promise but the character is on verge of being overexposed.

Black Panther 4 - Cool. Morlun's back. Glad that he hasn't gone into obscurity. Just wish Marvel wouldn't be coy about who the Panther is. Its getting old...

Ms Marvel 39 - Oh ... it appears Carol Danvers is actually dead. Confused now. As for the switch, not sure how much it will actually help the title.

Punisher 5 - Hey, another title where the Hood appears in. At this rate, he might actually rival Wolverine!

Howling Commandos 1 - Guess we know former Heroes producer Jesse Alexander has been up to. Ok, dark humor aside, I'm a big fan of the Howling Commandos and WWII war comics. Provided this actually is a one-shot, this comic is a good deal coming in at forty pages for four dollars. I may actually have to pick this up.

Hulk 12 - I'm only interested because its a Defenders story. Waiting for the trade.

Incredible Hercules 129 - At last, why death is so temporary in the Marvel universe. This one of those titles that I wish I could add to my list. One of the disadvantages of wanting to start from the beginning...

Marvel Zombies 4 issue 2 - Another Hood appearance...

New Mutants 1 - The New Mutants are back. Um, guess X-Infernus was important after all. While I read a handful of issues of the old run, I never did get into. Unless I make changes to pull list, this going to be tough sell for me.

X-men Forever Alpha - Yay! Chris Claremont returns to the X-men of the old 1991 continuity. Claremont's first X-men run means a lot to me and this particular time period does as well. Looking forward to this title. Although I don't know if I'll pick up the Alpha book. I have all the issues.

Deadpool Suicide Kings 2 - Uhm, Deadpool has a healing factor that rivals Wolverine. How is the Punisher too much for him? Glad I decided not to read this.

I'll discuss the graphic novels in a later post this week or next. Same with DC.

No comments: