Thursday, February 12, 2009

A petition to remove the Joker from future films..

ComicMix has reported that an online Ledger fan club is circulating a petition to eliminate the Joker role from any future live-action films. The link to the news snippet and petition is here.

Honestly, I disagree with the petition. Yes, I agree that Ledger did a wonderful job portraying the Clown Prince of Crime. Would I accept a different actor playing the Joker? Not in the near future. But never? Not a chance. Of all the Bat-villains, the Joker is the big kahuna. Everyone knows who he is. Culturally, he is the nemesis. Joker is too important to the Bat-mythos to be removed permanently from any live-action Bat-film.

As an aside, I feel twenty years is adequate time without the Joker. Although if a film version of the Dark Knight Returns was made, I'd accept a different actor playing Joker much sooner.

No comments: