Wednesday, November 29, 2017

A Quartet of Classic Macys Thanksgiving Clips





Another Thanksgiving and Cyber-Monday has come and gone. Over the years, I would occasionally watch the annual Macys Thanksgiving Parade. One thing I always enjoyed was the balloons, floats, and performances that would pertain to this blog such as Peanuts and Spider-Man. Recently, while perusing Youtube I discovered that He-Man and the Masters of the Universe had a float during both 1985 and 1986 parades.


So I went on a Macys Thanksgiving Parade clip binge.


Around that time, I decided to do something I have never done on this blog before. Share video clips.  So I researched how to do so. Learned out embedding. Then, I discovered blogger has an insert video function that pretty much cuts out that step if the video is from Youtube.


So without much ado, here are the clips of both He-Man and Marvel floats from 1986, 1985, 1989, and 1987.


Here's Dolph Lundgren (who portrayed He-Man in the live-action film from the 80's) narrating the He-Man float during the 1986 Macy's Thankgiving Parade. His narration is kind of wooden but the story the performers convey is decent given that its a float.








I liked the previous year's He-Man float better as well as appearances of the evil Horde. Strangely enough, characters that didn't appear until later are among the characters used...








Vividly recall as a kid enjoying the Marvel from 1989 which much in the same vein as the Masters of the Universe floats. Would spend the next decade watching ensuing Macy's Thanksgiving Parade for a repeat performance to no avail.








What I didn't know and didn't learn until recently was that Marvel had a similar float back in 1987. Captain America is the featured hero. Got to say watching Captain America manhandle the Hulk is hilarious!






Hope you all enjoyed this belated touch of a Thanksgiving tradition from the 1980s!


Next time.

No comments: