Thursday, July 14, 2016

A Classic NES That Fits Within One's Palm!

News broke out over the interwebs about a spectacular gaming announcement today. Nintendo is bring back the classic NES! Granted, it's not an exact replica of the 8-bit system; but the dubbed NES Classic System incorporates the latest technology. For those that have not read the details, a link that describes it can be found HERE.


As someone who grew up with the old 8-bit system (okay, more like played on other's consoles), I consider this fantastic news! Sure, devices have come out upon which one can play those old school NES games. I own a Retro Duo, of which I have remarked about here previously, that plays both 8-bit NES and 16-Bit SNES games. One could track down working vintage consoles even. However, this new rendition is a replica, contains 30 games, has "save points", and fits within the palm of one's hand. Sure my Retro Duo is small but it does not fit inside my hand! Not too mention all the space that the thirty cartridges for all thirty games would take up. Discounting licensed games, those 30 games are a who's who of classic 8-bit NES games. If one had to summarize the old Nintendo experience, it's pretty representative list.


I just that the games come already installed such as Sega Genesis Classic Game Console. Would absolutely hate to open up the package and discover that I have to download those games. The one disadvantage with the NES Classic System comes from its size. Unlike the Sega Genesis Classic Game Console, I doubt one will be able to plug cartridges from the rest of the 8-bit NES library into it. For me that's not a big deal as I own a Retro Duo, which serves that function nicely.


Regardless, I am quite excited for the NES Classic System. With a November release, I can see it as the perfect holiday gift for the video gamer. The holiday gift of Nintendo. My inner 80's child is excited.

No comments: