Monday, June 29, 2009

Three Comics Reviews (New Batman-related)

Over the course of the last four days, I have read three more comics. Somewhat on purpose all three include the new Batman. Only two are part of the Batman Reborn sales stunt. Yes, I have fallen victim to the Batman Reborn stunt. The first couple of issues anyway.



My review format changes this time around. They'll be shorter, disclose few spoilers, and include a cost analysis of sorts.



Batman 687

This marks the first issue of the new Batman's solo adventures whom I don't plan on disclosing the identity of. I also did not read Battle of the Cowl nor Batman: RIP although I bought the latter.



The Bad: I am not a fan of Ed Benes art. As far as I know, its for this arc only. Also this fills in the gaps so if one is all caught up on the various Bat-happenings this issue may feel redundant.


Good: Batman 687 sets up the new Batman's status quo nicely. It also does good job of explaining why both Batman and Robin and this title exist. The issue also provides a decent emotional journey for the man who assumes the mantle of the Bat. In addition the issue is accessible for the casual reader and has a nice Batman Begins vibe to it.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. Overall, I liked the issue. I am a fan of who currently wears the cowl. A solid effort. I felt it was worth the four dollars.

Red Robin #1
I actually do plan on spoiling the identity of Red Robin. So don't read this review if you don't want that spoiler.

Bad: I knew after I pre-order this issue that if there was Batman Reborn title I'd likely drop this would be it. The premise of the series is too limited. It doesn't help that biggest justification to Red Robin's mission will probably shake out of the events of Blackest Night. Not this title. Another problem I have is that this title has Tim become a much darker character. Its not a direction I prefer for that character. As for the issue itself, a lot happened such that some scenes lost impact due to space limitations.

Good: On the other hand, a lot happened in this issue. As a first issue should, the issue sets up the status quo and proceeds at a brisk pace. Tim's motives and methods make sense. Not only that but the issue includes a lot of international travel. A nice change from hanging out in Gotham.

Rating: 2 and half stars. A serviceable first issue. I felt that I got my money's worth. However, I didn't feel that the issue did a good enough job convincing me to buy this title instead of another.

Booster Gold 21
The new Batman is central to this issue; and the (new) Blue Beetle second feature starts.

Bad: Didn't follow Blue Beetle's series. Familiar with the character due to Batman: Brave and the Bold cartoon. Have all 21 issues of this title. First issue I read cover-to-cover. This was the make or break issue. Didn't care for how quickly Booster deduced the new Batman's ID.

Good: Both features were accessible and served as good starts to their separate stories. I'm impressed by Matthew Sturgess's range as I laughed throughout the Blue Beetle story. Got a kick out of the giant robot story which was told well with the ten pages alloted. Both art teams were fantastic with clear storytelling. Got my money's worth even with the increased price tag.

Rating 2 and half stars. A good issue. The Blue Beetle backup saved this issue and title. While the main feature was good, it wasn't as good as the backup. In a sense its like a new beginning, I will continue reading. But...

No comments: