Saturday, December 31, 2016

12ish Days of Blogging: Lessons from 2016 and 2017 New Year's Resolution

On the 6th day of my 12ish Days of Blogging I give to thee some lessons I learned from 2016 and my 2017 New Year's Resolution. I'm tempted to mimic the classic carol and start counting down, or should I say up, listing each subject. Since my 2016 resolution worked so well and I posted it on the same day, I figured I'd do the same with 2017. As for the lessons, they are more like soundbytes tied to fit in with the blog's usual theme. Nothing too deep.


2016 garnered the reputation as a grim reaper. While my blog's history includes RIP posts, I shied from doing so this year. One, there were some I missed. Two, some who don't quite fit the nature of the blog. Three, there were many and many I considered important. There was one general theme, but, to borrow a Dungeons & Dragons class name, 2016 was the year the bards died and people cared. And cared very much they did. Many entertainers and contributors to the arts and culture passed away. To the chagrin of many. Not because the deceased were famous but because of that individual's contribution to people's cultural and entertainment lives. Something to keep in mind while playing games like D&D and the impact that the Bard class has among the NPCs around them.


Another lesson to borrow a fantasy cliché, people need that new, plucky individual to rise above obscurity and become that twenty-something 20th level character to inspire them. While pop culture grinds out new stars continuously, its also grinding those stars to make new stars. I suspect that's one reason people took the loss of creative famous people so dearly. The lack of the next new entertainer. I'm using entertainer as more of placeholder as I don't want to fall into the trap of referencing politics cause danger lies there. Although that's a realm one could say we need new heroes.


Okay enough with the depressing lessons. More positive ones.


I learned not to anniversary posts in installments as I rarely ever do sequels. Although brief aside, I learned Kimball in yesterday's post about Wonder Woman was played by the same actor as Odo in DS9! On yeah, as a big Aquaman fan, he celebrated his 75 years too. I just never picked up the book. Still haven't finished the 75 years comic of Wonder Woman yet but will. It'll just be next year. Have a 75 years of Lois Lane book and that's more than 75 years...


I learned that I blog more when I have theme to blog and the theme includes frequent blogging. Granted that comes with a period of rest afterwards.


Most importantly, I've learned that I just don't make time to read and I miss it terribly.


So my 2017 New Year's Resolution is to read more. Not just comics. Short stories, novels, and nonfiction as well. If I am not taking time to read a novel, I'm certainly not taking time to read a comic. Reading after all is a habit. A habit I plan on making into a habit once more. Plus, more comic reviews will follow. Duh...


Till 7th installment and may your New Year's celebrations be joyous!

No comments: