Sunday, January 1, 2017

12ish Days of Blogging: New Year's Day Sunday Comics!

On the seventh day of 12ish Days of Blogging I give to thee some quick thoughts on Sunday comic strips - New Year's Day edition! Sure, Sunday comics on New Year's Day aren't common; but I am confident there won't be Sunday comics on New Year's Day in 2018. Such novelty alone bears noting. Plus, I am more in the mood of quick, easy blogging tonight, which doesn't include using links. Actually, did read a comic book to mark the New Year. Just going to save that review for tomorrow. And the use of the countdown from the classic Christmas carol.


I'm not going over every Sunday strip that appeared in my local Sunday paper that I normally read.


So:


For Better or For Worse: Really like the reference to thank you letters. My memories are fuzzy; and I think I may have had to write a thank you letter for a gift once or twice. Then again, that could be my mind playing tricks on me! Love the punch line at the end.


Zits - This one was flat. Not going to lie Zits may be benefit from advancing the characters ages as the jokes are starting to age anyway. Or wait for the next technological-sociological advancement/trend to freshen up.


Garfield - Worth a chuckle. Reminds me of meme on social media where the individual says they won't change with the New Year. For Garfield, rather fitting.


Dustin - Nice commentary about how there's euphoria over the holidays... and then nothing. The dad does have a nice punch line with the final panel.


Beetle Bailey - Bait-and-switch humor here.


Foxtrot - Sumo wrestling inside snow men? Hilarious.


Hagar the Horrible - Love the  reference to the months old pumpkin...


Doonesbury - Brace yourself, Arnold Celebrity Apprentice-related strips are coming.


Dilbert - Priceless. Simply priceless.


The Lockhorns - Love the panel on milk purchases. Nice parody.


Sally Forth - Knowledge of the Simpsons as a baseline for a generation as far as cultural references are understood? Feel old now...


Wizard of I.D. - A New Year's Countdown where the King of ID is his usual unpredictable, predictable self.


Peanuts - A classic strip related to head beagle report cards. Meh. Kind of flat. Not too much of a fan of the head beagle references so I'm less of a fan of an extended one.


Bizarro - Ok, that mural is cool... and yet so, so wrong.


Prince Valiant - The end of Azar Rasa arc. Yeah, its a bit of cliché ending for an arc dealing with a sorcerer and all-powerful mystical artifact but its a fitting end.


Well, Until the 8th 12ish Days of Blogging, Happy New Year!

No comments: