Monday, December 5, 2016

Links about Krampus Night, First Tier 4 Adventurer's League mods, and Update AL Faction Guide

As usual, I'm off to a slow start as far as blogging is concerned. Have quite a number of things I want to blog about during the month of December and before year's end. Been awhile since I had 'link-oriented' post, so here's three links pertaining to Krampus Night, the rest of season 5 mods for Adventurer's League including the very first set of Tier 4 (levels 17 - 20), and an updated faction guide.


Guide to Factions - An updated faction guide for Adventurer's League. A free pdf available on DM's Guild. The Mentor-Apprentice rules are fleshed out more. Honestly, I think this would receive more play at conventions where Epics are played or home games where people play chapters from the adventure books. I do find the massive downtime requirements for some of the options rather curious. Then again, I am not a fan of requiring hundreds of downtime days to train although I suppose that's realistic. Maybe it's because downtime days are chained to playing modules and don't exist separately. As much as Time Units in LG could be frustrating as one's PC could be rendered unplayable for the rest of year, one's PC didn't have to earn that off-time. Some of the tool proficiencies that faction members can learn could be neat although I think the Zhentarim win as far as adventuring related tool proficiencies are considered. I suppose if you have Downtime to burn up... Now, the Item Acquisition is rather cool. I'd have to read it some more as some things aren't as clear. That being said, I've played a number of Adventurer's League modules for quite some time now. Haven't played any chapters from the book adventures yet. Magical armor and weapons are super rare as far rewards go. Thus, I absolutely love that if I want a character to acquire some, there's a means to do so. Plus, faction promotion becomes far more attractive as a consequence. Otherwise, faction promotion is more ho-hum than downtime. Still have no idea what distinguishes a secret mission from a faction assignment...


Rest of Season 5 mods - Here's a list for all the mods of Season 5 Adventurer's mods including the final nine modules that wrap up the tiers 1 - 3 arcs as well as providing the very first tier 4 (levels 17 - 20) mods. Season 4 (Barovia) led me to thinking to story terms such that my Season 5 character was created to fit the theme of Season 5 more. Since I was playing the character in non-Season 5 mods, I was worried that the character would level out of tier 1 (levels 1 - 4) and miss out on story. Perusing the module list, it appears the major arc of tier 1 centers around the village of Parnast. Fortunately, there's only one module that I would really love to play with said PC from tier 1 so if I play the rest of the Parnast arc with a different PC so be it. My first play through of any tier 2 mods will probably be with a different character anyway...


Krampus Night - My goal for this year is to include more holiday (ie, Christmas, Yule, etc.)-related content during December. Here's the first of such. As tonight is December 5th, ie Krampus Night, rather fitting I include a link about how Krampus Night has gained popularity within the United States. Rather cool the phenomena owes a debt to postcards of all things. Heck, I could see Krampus Night being folded within a RPG context. Modern settings could reflect one night only shenanigans on December 5th, while older and more supernatural-inclined settings could actually have an encounter with a Krampus-like figure! Perhaps an exercise for the later this month... or next year...


Well, Till next time. Happy Gaming.

No comments: