Sunday, December 25, 2016

12ish Days of Blogging: Some Yuletide Links I Found of Interest

Since today marks day one of the traditional Twelve Days of Christmas and the march toward year's end, I've decided to do a series of twelve-ish blog posts. Alright, I mean blog twelve days in a row but give or take a couple days. Originally, I planned on Christmas/Holiday content appearing before and including on Christmas itself but the holiday happened. So expect plenty of Christmas-oriented stuff during twelve days of blogging. On the other hand, there may be several entries that aren't Christmas-oriented at all. My review of the Halloween Disney comic and commentary on New Year's Resolutions are among what I want to squeeze in before we're well into 2017.


So to start the 12ish Days of Blogging, I begin light by sharing several seasonal links that I found of interest. Some additional Christmas/Holiday/Yule like content that you may find of interest.


Ostrander on the Doctor Who Christmas Specials - Comics writer John Ostrander, Suicide Squad creator, provides a pretty nice overview of the Doctor Who Christmas Specials on ComicMix. My mileage on his opinions on each of the specials varies although there's some I haven't seen. Didn't realize until Ostrander pointed it out but, yeah, the Tenth Doctor, David Tennant, began and ended his time as the Doctor on Christmas. Rather neat coincidence.


CBR Superman Advent Calender - Leading up to Christmas, as part of Advent, Comic Book Resources had a daily countdown of Superman Christmas Stories and stories that contained elements no matter how minor of Christmas-theme. The screenshots are quite readable so much of each individual story can be read. Well, the nuts and bolts anyway. Some excellent Superman Christmas material here. Heck, I'm only two-thirds through!


Six Christmas Graphic Novels - Want to read some Christmas graphic novels that you can be certain you order from your local comics shop? Well, Diamond Comics Distributors have you covered with this list of six. I'm pretty confident if Diamond is listing these titles they have them in their warehouse. One of the six, Klaus, I hope to include during my 12ish Days of Blogging.


A History of Jingle Bells, Batman Smells - Here's an excellent essay on the origins and evolution of classic children's folksong Jingle Bells, Batman Smells. Seems to date back to the classic Adam West Batman sixties television show. Did you know there once was a line referencing Commissioner Gordon? I certainly wasn't aware of just how many variants there were of the classic children's folksong. Very interesting read.


Till Next Time!





No comments: