Wednesday, December 26, 2018

12 Blog Posts of December Day 7 - Adapting the Elf Class to 5E Is Simple



On the first day of my 12 Blog Posts of December... Egad's it's almost midnight by me! I've got to crank out my Day 7 post if I want to achieve twelve blog posts in December! No time for such a holiday related opening.


So what's my topic for Day 7?


Yesterday, I received a copy of D&D Rules Cyclopedia for Christmas.


Of late, the desire to play an Elf, as in the Elf class from BECMI, has been strong. While I do own a digital version, there's nothing quite like holding a physical book in one's hand. Weirdly enough conversion work is easier the physical work as opposed to reading it from a monitor or tablet. Believe there's been studies highlighting the phenomenon too. I'm not the only one!


By conversion, my intention is to emulate the BECMI Elf class in D&D 5E. Flipping through the pages of the Rules Cyclopedia I finally understand how to do it. Like a light bulb being lit!


First, forget everything you've gleaned from the AD&D 1E > AD&D 2E > D&D 3E > D&D 5E tree. Oh, both elf trees fit.


It's just that the BECMI Elf ISN'T a master of stealth. The Elf class isn't a junior ranger. Not by stats anyway. What the DM allowed the Elf PC to do was simply arbitrary. Note: I haven't read the skills section within the Rules Cyclopedia; however, I am sure the Stealth isn't a skill.


Second, select Fighter as class. The Elf class was primarily a fighting type with spell-casting. Ergo, Eldritch Knight will be the Martial Archetype.


Third, or maybe this should be second, select High Elf as the subrace. None of the other options fit the BECMI Elf more. However, the extra language does emulate three extra languages (other than elf) the Elf class knew. Select either orc, gnoll, or goblin.


Fourth, customize a background to acquire a couple more languages if you really want the three.


Fifth: The find secret doors ability can be reflected by having the Investigation skill. So select or customize a background to have said proficiency.


Voila!


A BECMI Elf emulated in D&D 5E.


Really was much, much simpler than I thought!


Happy Holidays!


Only 5 more blog posts to go.


Next time.

No comments: