Tuesday, December 18, 2018

12 Blog Posts of December: Day 3 - The Final Five Take-Aways of 2018



Last couple years, I would endeavor to do a twelve days of blogging to mirror the twelve days of Christmas. Sure, I would count Star Wars-related posts among them - cause there was a Star Wars movie that December. The posts would, in theory, potentially last until January 6th (the final day of the Christmas season); however, they would acquire a New Year's theme more often than not. My plan this year was to keep X-Mas blogging separate from other types. Well, Christmas is about a week a way. Clearly, I am not blogging twelve X-Mas themed blogs until then. Other than any potential reviews related Christmas, I don't forsee a reason to continue a '12 days of blogging' theme past December. Nor is there a Star Wars movie this year.


However, I've been in a blogging funk. I still want to continue my X-Mas themed blogging. Doing a twelve post themed strand appeals to me. It's just other than my two Five Take-Aways blog posts, I haven't blogged at all during December.


Then it hit me.


Why not do a '12 Blog Posts of December'? Mirrors the '12 days of Christmas', while not being beholden to a Christmas theme. Plus, I won't churn out more than twelve blog posts during December to fulfill some sort of quota. Granted, twelve posts does seem like a lot considering I haven't blogged anywhere near as much since October...


In any case, counting the other two Five Take-Away posts, this will be the third '12 Blog Posts of December' post. Just official now.


If you're eagle-eyed enough you'll notice I stated 'other two Five Take-Aways'. That's cause my FLGCS ran its final Adventurers League event of 2018. Store is closed on Christmas Day, which is the final Tuesday of December. Ergo,


Here is my final Adventurers League and final Five Take-Aways of 2018 period!




Christmas/Yule/Midwinter is a mood


Christmas is next week. Much like during Halloween, Adventurers League is doing some special things for Midwinter, Faerun's version of Christmas/Yule. We didn't play the midwinter module today. However, we did receive from our DM the certs for a special one-time use Midwinter 'magical item' usable until February. A figurine of wondrous power which is an elk. Not quite a flying reindeer but it'll do. Plus, last week, the AL folk released a one-shot candle which expedites short rests to 10 minutes. Also usable until the 1st of February. Wonder if the AL organizers will release more seasonal gifts new week? Expect to see many candles burning and many elk romping about during January!


To cap, it off, my DM dispensed candy contained within plastic holders shaped like candy canes. A little bit of giving to brighten the mood.


Lightning bolts and Fireballs damaging opponents as much as a Champions criticals


No, we didn't time travel back to fourth edition when those spells dealt low damage. The spell-casters consistently rolled below average damage. The Champion (Fighter 3+) would roll very high results when he rolled a critical hit. It was extremely funny when they player remarked he was doing more damage than the lightning bolts being cast. Kind of reminds me why I don't gravitate toward spell-casters. Although if I break out my Shadowrun dice, which tend not to roll too many 1s...


And the Champion polymorphed as a triceratops gores, gores, gores!


The aforementioned champion took quite a bit of damage. Reduced down to 1 hp  amount of damage. Healing magic would have been in adequate. Fortunately, one of PCs knew/prepared Polymorph. Sidenote: While I encountered Polymorph as far back as AD&D 2E, I hadn't yet encountered the spell in use in AL, let alone 5E, until now. Player wanted to polymorph him into a dinosaur. Alas, the Champion's level limited him to triceratops. Regardless, the new form gave the fighter more hit points - and one attack. The player was chagrined by the one attack but decided to use the triceratops gore. Proceeded to destroy two opponents with two gores. Couldn't help but remember the old 'gore, gore, gore' cries whenever the (now retired) Pro Wrestler Rhyno would gore someone.


Okay, I give up I cast Darkvision


Once again, I was playing my tortle monk following the way of the shadow. We were once again underground. This time, however, there were effects reducing the quality of any light sources. Being fifth level, I decided my PC would still have plenty of Qi points remaining. Took advantage of being a Shadow Monk *cough Ninja cough* to cast Darkvision. Didn't need to worry about visibility from then on as time certainly didn't exceed the 8 hours of the effect's duration. Speaking of which...


What? We've entered three combats without a short or long rest and my monk is frontlining?
 
First combat, didn't need to spend any Qi points. The combat was that easy. I had already used two to enact darkvision.


Second combat: Was a doozy. I burnt through all three Qi Points either disengaging or attempting a Stunning Strike. Unfortunately, the Stunning Strike failed leading to the Qi disengage after attacking the next round. The earlier Qi disengage did position my ninja out of the way of the other PC's fireballs. No regrets there.


Third combat: Wait, we didn't short rest! I got to frontline as the only other frontliner was the Champion. Thank goodness for Extra Attack, Martial Arts, and being a Tortle (high AC)! Okay, he was serviceable but I appreciated the combo more after tonight.


There you have it. The final five take-aways of 2018.


See you for my fourth day of December blogging.



No comments: