Saturday, September 29, 2018

Initial Thoughts on DC Universe Streaming / Subscription Service



Couple weeks ago, IT launched. Mid-month strikes me as on odd time to kickoff a monthly streaming/subscription service yet DC decided it was the perfect time to officially launch its new DC Universe. Haven't binged any movies or television shows. Didn't chat all things on DC using the forums. Can't say I've spent hours reading any of the comics offered online. What I did do was sample enough of everything (except the forums) to get an initial first impression of DC Universe. Since October is literally a day way, now makes a good a day as any to give my two cents. If I waited until October, I may as well as wait until I've done all the above, right?


Forums: Pretty much stated in my opener, I never used them. Honestly, I don't really plan to. Unless of course actual folks on DC visit the forums. Then, I will participate gleefully. Interacting with creators is tremendous fun indeed.


Television: While none of the Arrowverse shows are available on DC Universe, there are plenty of gems. The cancelled-before-its-time Constantine is here. Birds of Prey. Heck, the live-action Superboy, which was among my wishlist when I was 'deciding', is among the shows offered. There's animated shows such as the classic Superfriends as well as Bat-man: the Animated Series. Initially, I thought only the first season was available for each show. Thought it was very strange that multiple seasons were mentioned until I noticed a dropdown box wherein the user can select a specific season.


The quality of the video is top-notch. Matches quality offered by the likes of Netflix and Hulu. Speaking of Hulu, fast-forwarding through an episode of Batman:TAS did NOT trigger any breaks for advertisements. Leads me to believe, there are no commercials! Another neat feature is one's progress on an episode is saved so you pick up right where left off. You can also add a series to your favorites.


Movies: Among the initial offerings are the Christopher Reeve Superman films along with the animated movies of which DC recently released a tenth anniversary collection. As a recent purchaser of said collection, only a small handful of them are available for streaming on DC Universe upon initial launch. So I don't feel foolish along that front... Did feel the movie selection was a bit low; but it is the initial launch. Other than that I haven't streamed any of the movies yet so that awaits further comment.


Comics: Initial selection is quite extensive.  Most recent comics offered digitally, ala Marvel Digital Comics - digital issues aren't available for purchase at the moment, stop at Rebirth issue 1s. That said, there's samplings of New 52, post-Crisis, and in-between. Dark Knight Returns is available to be read digitally online. Personally, I am pumped Johns/Eaglesham's Justice Society of America's first eleven issues are offered. Looking to become familiar with Captain Marvel/Shazam before the upcoming Shazam! movie? Well, Ordway's Power of Shazam! awaits your perusal.


I've read a smattering of comics online via several platforms from Nook Digital Comics to Dark Horse Digital to Marvel Digital Unlimited on my PC. Have to say DC Universe perfectly aligns the page with screen! Art and lettering is perfectly readable. No shrinking nor enlarging is required. Don't have to toggle from panel to panel nor toggle from panel readout to full page layout. Like television shows, DC Universe saves your progress on a given comic. Plus, titles can be added to a favorites list.


The two cons I see with the digital comics is there is much duplication among titles (which is rather odd) and I haven't noticed a search option yet. If offerings rotate, the bloated list is fine. Otherwise, searching through the comics library will become a hassle once it expands.


Overall, my initial impression of DC Universe is very favorable. A heavy user might worry about the size of the initial content. If this is your only streaming service and your first foray into digital comics, I could see one binging through the library within maybe six months. On the other hand, I don't forsee myself exhausting the initial launch within twelve months of my subscription. Maybe by the fifteenth month. However, the original programming such as Titans and Doom Patrol will have debuted by then. Quality-wise, I am quite pleased as well. We'll see how my opinion changes once what's new is well-acquainted.


Periodic updates to come.


Next time!

No comments: