Thursday, March 9, 2017

DC Rebirth: How I Came To Accept $3.99 Comics

When I first learnt that DC was raising cover prices I was enraged. Based on my experiences with Marvel, I assumed it was the popular titles, which ship twice a month, that were being bumped up to $3.99. The decision to drop specific DC Rebirth titles from my buying habits were not yet made. By that point, I had gone back on my decision to only buy the monthly titles due to skepticism over reading a twice-a-month title. Back in January, I was buying virtually every DC Rebirth title. So believing that those same twice-a-month titles would jump in price irked me.


Upon reading this story HERE, I discovered I was wrong and my cynicism was misplaced. It wasn't the popular twice-a-month, the bulk of line group of books being bumped up to $3.99. It was the 15 or so monthly titles that were experiencing price increase. Plus, those same titles would include a digital codes similar to Marvel's old system.


While I avidly purchased Marvel's All-New, All-Different books, I never took advantage of the digital codes. As such I was unfamiliar with what was being proposed. THIS story here explained Marvel's old digital code policy as well as the price increase probably serving to boost the profitability of the monthly and presumably less popular books.


Over the years, I have come to believe that increased price points rarely lead to increased longevity of a title. Maybe in the short term but unless the book's popularity spikes, rarely long-term. However, the digital codes could have potential. Perhaps the digital codes could expand readership? An avid Rebirth purchaser such as myself would be more willing to part with issue via the back issue market as I would then own a digital copy? The latter question begs further exploration on my part. Maybe.


But the major reason why I accept the $3.99 price point for Rebirth titles is because the twice-shipping titles are still $2.99. Once I realized that most of my anger vanished. Then came acceptance. After all, Marvel's titles have been $3.99 for quite some time.


Hey, doesn't Marvel ship titles twice a month too?


Why yes. Oh wait, I have been buying some of those titles too. They sell at $3.99 a copy. Twice a month.


As such when DC eventually raises its twice-a-month books to $3.99, while I will initially be irked, I will grudgingly accept it. I may switch to more trades and digital editions. My pull list and what I purchase of the rack may be reduced.


But I won't declare 'I am dropping such and such a book!'


At the end of the day and after years of disdaining a $3.99 price point for Marvel and DC comics, I realize I have come to accept such a price point. Comic books with a cover price of $4 or more are the new normal.


Till next time, keep reading.

No comments: