Saturday, October 24, 2015

Guess, My Character Wasn't as Cool as I Thought...

Every gamer experiences those moments where their PC accomplishes great things. The rush one feels when any given game's challenge-resolution mechanic (CRM) enables a character to perform far better than one expected. Heck, some game's CRM have in-built eureka moments such as Dungeons & Dragons critical successes. Critical successes help create the excitement that stem from an RPG session. However, much of that excitement relies on the purity of that eureka moment.


Now I have been slinging dice, along with other forms of CRM, for around twenty years. Over the years, my appreciation for that visceral feeling that one experiences when the CRM works in one's favor has grown. Not only when it pertains to my experience but the experience of the GM and other players. After all, table-top and live-action role-playing games are communal so one's fortune or misfortune may impact how others enjoy the game. In a roundabout fashion I have come to appreciate the sentiment expressed in forums such as Knights of the Dinner Table of limited natural 20s! Watching the videos of Vin Diesel playing Dungeons & Dragons circulating the internet and palpable excitement whenever a critical occurred certainly help foster my new appreciation.


While playing a session of the fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons, I had a chance to play the new iteration of the Barbarian class. Before play, I only briefly perused the class so I had a shaky grasp of the new Barbarian. Heck, I created my character on the fly within ten or twenty minutes! So while I was playing my character, I was pleased with his performance in combat as he downed his foes. Even had a critical hit! Here is where we reach the title of this particular entry. After the gaming session, in which the character leveled, I read the next level's abilities. Turns out I had misinterpreted the Rage mechanic and was using a souped-up version of a second level ability. In short, my character was far cooler than he should have been.


Years ago, accidental coolness would not have bothered me. I would have shrugged it off. Others would bring it to my attention. We'd argue and then refinements would be made. In a fashion, I'm glad to realize that I have matured as gamer. That I can accept an 'oops' moment when I play and realize its potential to disrupt that further games and adjust appropriately. Fortunately, role-playing games are just games and communal ones at that. As long as I am honest about my eureka moments, and work to maintain such honesty, its okay. Its just one's ego as it pertains to a fictional construct in a game. Besides, misreading rules is part of the game!

No comments: