Sunday, June 30, 2019

Emulating The BECMI Elf in D&D 5E: Leather vs Chain Mail




What better way to end June than the way I began it: by contemplating equipment for an Elf PC.

Recently, I decided to finally create an Adventurers League PC following the BECMI Elf Class emulation I blogged about back in December. While 5E character creation is almost as simple as BECMI days, I ran into a stumbling block. Deciding which piece of equipment to select. One of the few decision quandaries players needed to make back in those halycon days.

I decided to break my decision into two sub-categories. Debate between longbow versus shortbow was the first. Now, I didn't blog in a vacuum as I turned to the wisdom of the crowd, i.e. social media.

The response did not disappoint. There were discussion on archery in general and back in medieval times. Folks talked about shooting a long bow indoors versus outdoors. Same with a short bow. Then, there were the aspects of BECMI rules, which as a 2E gamer I learned about for the first time, i.e. minimum damage via weapon mastery in short bows.

Edition agnostic concerns such as range and money were raised. Got to say range and money are huge concerns in 5E too. Well, yes and no. If you take the standard package... but more on that later.

To my one chagrin, no answered my question itself: what is more iconic, the long bow or short bow?

The lack of response is more likely a sign of more symbolic thinking than what anyone playing BECMI would have worried over. When you're playing D&D for the very first time, you don't go 'Hmm, really need the Elf bow...'

Cause what is the elf bow? I suppose if you saw this picture you'd think this is:


So a short bow. I mean if the masses, those who played BECMI far more often than I, didn't have a particular bow they felt their Elf NEEDED, then art is the key.

By golly, short bow it is!

Except D&D 5E has the standard package of equipment.

Yes, long bow is an option - with leather armor.

The next ranged weapon is a light crossbow. Simple enough fix. Just swap out the light crossbow for a short bow. Easy. Right? Except, then chain mail is the armor available via the package. Certainly, doesn't look like the elf pictured is wearing chain mail...

Furthermore, I will likely play the Elf PC while the gold rules for Season 8 are still in effect. No gold until reaching 2nd level. How much gold? Enough for either a long bow or suit of chain mail. Uh why is chain mail an option if your basing icon status on the picture?

Easy. The Elf PC could wear any armor such as plate mail. While I don't plan on my PC donning plate mail, the character will eventually don the best armor suitable. Plus, the prior question is still a concern, do I go for range, i.e. the long bow or settle for a short bow?

If I choose a long bow and thus leather armor, then I could select the fighting style for wearing armor and gain a bonus. Upon reaching 2nd level, spend all the PCs gold to chain mail. The Elf would be able wear the chain mail for an upcoming battle and possess a slightly better AC. If stealth is required, just don leather armor and hope the fighting style more than makes up for it?

On the other hand, starting out with chain mail frees up 75 gp. Who knows when 75 gold will come in handy down the road? Maybe buy a long bow? However, I've already settled for a shorter range. One more level later, the Elf will become an Eldritch Knight and have access to attack cantrips. A long bow is only really helpful past the range of those cantrips. Attacking with a penalty though... So how much wiggle room with gold do I need?

What did players during the BECMI days do? Wait, I own a copy of the Rules Cyclopedia. What are BECMI players doing now? When they play an Elf PC, do they prioritize armor over weapons?

Select the best armor type available via funds or select the best weapon? Ditch the leather or go for the mail?

Go for flexibility in armor types depending the situation or go heavy and save gold?

Either choice will impact my Elf PC emulation. Decisions, decisions.

Happy Gaming!

Next time.

No comments: