Friday, June 7, 2019

Adventurers League: Longbow or Shortbow for An Elf?


Never thought I would reach this point while playing Adventurers League; but it finally happened. None of my PCs are Tier One (levels 1 - 4). Therefore, if on Tuesday nights to improve table flexibility I am going to have to create a new PC. It's a long time until Season 9 begins so I'm stuck in the old seasonality.

Why the question about bows used by elves? A picture is worth a thousand words.



A while back I provided my quick emulation for adapting the Elf Class to 5E. In it I gushed about my desire to play a version of the iconic BECMI class. Seasonality doesn't harm the concept so now is as good of a time as any other.

However, I don't need to create the 'Elf' PC by Tuesday. My schedule isn't movie-going friendly. Really want to see both the latest Godzilla and X-Men movies before they leave my local cinema. Missed out on Shazam! and Hellboy cause of gaming, which frankly kind of bothers me. So I've got time to deliberate more on a 5E PC than I would otherwise.

There's two conceptual problems. The first problem, the topic for today, is kind of caused by the second problem. However, I'll leave the second for another post. Simply because the first feels more iconic.

Which type of bow is more iconic for an Elf PC? Which was more iconic for an Elf PC back during BECMI? I am talking the longbow versus the short bow.

Longbows do more damage and can shoot farther. However, gamers felt some degree of realism was important back then. The historic longbow didn't lend itself very well to the feats of mobility we envision today. Legolas's feats of acrobatics would be incredibly difficult with an actual longbow. They're also expensive. Buying a longbow limits armor and other weapon choices.

Meanwhile, short bows are inferior in the damage and range departments. They are much cheaper. Furthermore, none of the gamers I played with back in the day had any problem with archers equipped with short bows roaming about heavy forests, while shooting at their foes.

Nowadays, the reflection of realism in archery doesn't seem important. Image is king. So it really does come down which choice is more iconic.

The long bow or the short bow?

Once again, just blogging out loud.

Happy Gaming and Next time!

No comments: