Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Five Take-Aways: Shadowrun (5E) Missions 3/27/2018



Once again, the final Tuesday of March came meaning my FLGCS hosted its monthly Shadowrun Missions event as part of Tuesday Night Gaming. Furthermore, tonight my FLCGS Shadowrun Missions group began the first installment of the final season of the Chicago arc. An apocalyptic beginning it was. So without further ado, here's the third Shadowrun Missions Five Take-aways of 2018.


My Epiphany from yesterday was more prophetic than I thought - Yesterday, I blogged about how PCs possessing both vehicles and vehicle skills is a must in Shadowrun Missions. This Tuesday night we learned that lesson in spades. Either a gearhead or vehicle rigger would've been much appreciated tonight. Thankfully, the GM didn't impose a crash test as a consequence of the one failed role.


Learned when auto damage occurs when critters Engulf - My combat mage's summoned and bound spirits have Engulfed opponents several times. Until tonight, I must've glossed over the portion of the text that states during each action phase until escape. Otherwise, the spirits were inflicting engulf damage on their turns. May want to brush up on the exact definition of action phase...


We play SRM mods as if they were D&D 5E AL mods: This Tuesday really brought home the realization that we've been playing as if we were playing in Adventurers League. In Adventurers League one can shamble along without any significant consequences. Not so with the eighth season of Shadowrun Missions. The final season of the Chicago arc will burn you hard for it. We've been lucky so far.  Spoilers, we succeeded but at cost to our PCs storyline-wise (and for some point-wise too).


Background count, drain, and my slow learning the process regarding 5E magic rules have hindered my proficiency playing a magician - In hindsight, quite a bit would've developed differently if I played my combat mage like I role-played my magician characters in third edition. Admittedly, I developed character quirks that make my combat mage less effective so that's part of it. However, astral rules elude me. Just don't have the confidence with them that I used to. Granted, the combat mage template doesn't jive well with the astral rules either. In third edition, drain was mitigated much easier. I'm lucky when Nox doesn't take drain damage during an entire session when he would resist drain. Background count has also deterred me from taking actions that I may otherwise try. And my PC has Cleansing metamagic too!


During Season 8 expect the possibility of PC death at anytime during a mod - Previous modules from earlier seasons of the Chicago story would follow a pattern. You never had to worry about an encounter potentially killing your PC during the beginning. Sure, some combat could have gotten nasty but nothing too bad. Tonight, we avoided our a TPK during what we thought was a role-play encounter. We're talking early in module.


Thus ends my latest edition of Five Take-Aways.


Until next time I game on Tuesday.




No comments: