Sunday, February 28, 2016

WWE Royal Rumble 2016 - Yep, Just Recently Saw It

WWE FastLane 2016 happened recently. However, I'm not going to discuss that PPV. Instead, Royal Rumble 2016 is the object of my focus. Due to the WWE Network, I finally saw it... about two days after FastLane. So should I comment on FastLane that should be about mid or late-March, right? For the newcomers wondering why I am discussing a wrestling PPV on comics and games blog, the answer is quite simple. Back in 2009, I decided to occasionally discuss sports entertainment via this blog in lieu of starting another. Just haven't discussed wrestling for pretty much the same reason that I took more than a month to discuss the 2016 Rumble. Just have not watched much of the current stuff since resuming my blog.


You may ask, why watch Royal Rumble 2016 especially since FastLane 2016 was in the books two days prior? One, outcomes aside, the Rumble match usually is enjoyable. Two, the Royal Rumble always gets me in the mood for WrestleMania. Quite simply, it's part of my 'Mania tradition. I may not always watch the PPV that comes between but I usually try to watch the Royal Rumble itself. Three, ever since I first became of the Royal Rumble match I have always wanted to see the champion defend his championship in that match itself. For the first time ever, the reigning champion, Roman Reigns defended his belt in the Royal Rumble match. Must see.


Here's the breakdown of what I thought:


IC Title Match: Dean Ambrose vs Kevin Owens: Easily among the best last man standing matches that I have ever seen. I've seen a couple stinkers so I was glad this match did not disappoint. The double table spot was amazing. Both Owens (whom I am familiar with as Steene) and Ambrose have quite a hardcore legacy ahead. Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.


Tag Title Match: The New Day vs The Usos: Solid match. New Day is absolutely hilarious. Quite an entertaining gimmick. As I recently saw the Deadpool movie, Kofi Kingston possessing a unicorn horn was probably far more funny than it otherwise would have been. Rating 3 out of 5 stars


US Title Match: Alberto Del Rio vs Kallisto: Another decent match. My first time watching Kallisto work. Would loved to have seen more but Alberto Del Rio was wrestling his heel-quash-the-luchador style. Find it rather amusing that, what I believe are, two Mexicans are competing for the US Title. Kind of like the European belt being defended within North America between people from NA... Rating: 3 out of 5 stars


Divas Title Match: Charlotte vs Becky Lynch: Never seen either of these women wrestle before. Quite an impressive athletic women's match that portends good things for women wrestling within the WWE. Loved how Charlotte channeled the heel mannerisms of her father. Ric Flair's presence was a nice treat. Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.


Rather impressed with the quality of the matches. The fact all of them were championship matches was nice touch.


Royal Rumble Match
The storytelling was decent during the match although I could have done without all the out of the ring shenanigans. Not to mention what I felt was cheap way for Roman Reigns to go the distance.


Loved AJ Styles first appearance in WWE. Impressed that he lasted as long.


Chris Jericho was the workhorse he ran the distance and served as the glue for most of the match.


Bran Strowman is quite the giant. During any other era I'd see a championship match in his future.


Kofi Kingston was usually a highlight for the match. There was a cute segment but it's a far cry from the Kofi of old.


R Truth thinking it was a Ladder Match was hilarious.


First time seeing the stable that is the League of Nations together in operation. Decent heel showing and received their storyline comeuppance.


Never thought I would cheer so much for Brock Lesnar.


The Wyatt family looked formidable. One would think a feud between them and Lesnar as inevitable after watching this match.


So if the eliminated Wyatts came back in to eliminate Brock, why not eliminate everyone else?


If the Authority truly wanted Reigns out, why not toss him back in and then eliminate him?


Reigns receiving the level of boos is troubling considering he's supposed to be the hero. Cena is cheered more.


Triple H  winning the Rumble and becoming champion wasn't so bad. I am ready for the storyline loss to Reigns at WrestleMania.


Rating: 3 out of 5 stars


Overall: Royal Rumble 2016 was a decent PPV (3 out of 5 stars) especially for the cost of the WWE Network. Loved that all the belts were defended in solid matches. Eagerly looking forward to WrestleMania. My only quibble is that Roman Reigns may not be, and probably should not be, the hero of the story.

No comments: