Monday, February 29, 2016

Great Caesar's Ghost! Superman is a Leap Year Baby!

You can thank social media for this discovery but I never that Superman's declared birthday is February 29th. This article here includes background details of the event as well as sample pages from the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons story, "For the Man Who has Everything" and John Byrne page from an uncredited story. A link for 40% discount on select Superman e-books for is also included. However, I have discovered that other e-book retailers are participating in the sale as well so one has options for where one can purchase the little over a handful of trades being offered for discount for today. Keep in mind, the sale is only for 2/29/2016 only.


Why does Superman declare his birthday is on a leap year? From a publication standpoint, I conjecture its because editors Mort Weisinger and Julius Schwartz did not have to contend with publishing content on an annual basis nor have to address thousands of annual correspondence from Superman's young fans on Superman's birthday. Superman probably uses February 29th as a birthday to both distract others from his secret identity as Clark Kent, who has a different birthday, and so that he would not have to bother with it every year. Furthermore, the post-Crisis and pre-New 52 Superman utilized a PO Box and would collect his mail once every year. Not celebrating a birthday every year probably cuts down on birthday cards.


As for the ebooks themselves, several attract my eye particular the trades collecting the Curt Swan and George Perez stories. The New Krypton and Grounded stories were stories that I decided to wait for the trade but never purchased. Well, I believe anyway. I already own Power Couple and, I believe, Escape from Bizarro World. Digital Comics are still hit and miss for me as I still prefer dead-tree copies. So I may range from buying a couple to all but a couple to none at all. Perhaps I'll reference the story as Superman Birthday Review when I finally review it?


In any case, Happy Birthday Superman! Until next time in 2020.

No comments: