Thursday, February 11, 2016

A new category for my blog: Cancelled/On the Bubble Comics

Alas, I knew it was going to happen and it did. When Marvel released its All-New All-Different (ANAD) initiative, sixty new titles seemed way too much in too small a time-frame. The market and publisher would not support all those titles. Cancellations would occur.


One cancellation has.


Recently, I discovered to my chagrin that Marvel is cancelling Black Knight as of issue five. Way back when I was to doing my 'buy, maybe, pass' bit on new ANAD titles, Black Knight was among the definite 'buy' list. Needless to say, I am disappointed by this news. I learned about the cancellation as the preface of a list of titles that are on the bubble, thus in danger of cancellation.


An occasional feature that appeared it the now defunct Comic's Buyer's Guide was Cancelled Comics Cavalcade. CCC would as the title suggests discuss several recently cancelled comics and their respective strengths, weaknesses, and reason for cancellation. As luck would have it, many titles that I read or collect are comics that get cancelled. Devoting a section of my blog towards cancelled comics is neat from a historical perspective. Many of my favorite comics were those that were cut short. However, advocating titles that others may gloss over is also a desire. One of the reasons I hyped the ANAD titles was so that titles that may not receive attention had some attention directed their way. So instead of just discussing cancelled comics, titles that hover on the bubble will receive some extra attention. Thus, a new category: Cancelled/On the Bubble.


In the wake of Black Knight issue 4 debuting this week, I'll wait until issue five arrives before featuring my discussion on Black Knight.

No comments: