Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Last Witch Hunter (Halloween 2015 Part 3)

Here's my belated review, and third installment of Halloween-related stuff that I watched during the week of Halloween, of The Last Witch Hunter. The Last Witch Hunter also marks another pop culture entry for Dungeons & Dragons as the Witch Hunter is based on Vin Diesel's D&D character.


How was The Last Witch Hunter you may ask? I felt it was superb film destined for cult classic stardom. Vin Diesel and Co. turn in an excellent genre film that methodically develops a new setting while providing a decent dose of excitement. The film's approach to a flaming sword was fairly plausible as was its more fantastic elements. We learn how witches operate and the rules of magic in The Last Witch Hunter setting. No small feat for a two-hour production. Loved how dream walkers were handled. Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth fans should be pleased by how effective the dream walkers are. For what I assumed was a modern-day sword and sorcery story, the plot contained more cloak and dagger elements than I would have expected. I'd elaborate more but that would ruin major plot points. The film ends with a set-up for future witch hunter adventures. I know I look forward to any sequels be they movies or TV. D&D fans should be pleased.

No comments: