Thursday, November 5, 2015

Arrow is Constantine! (And Why I am Glad I Started Watching Again)

*yep, pro-wrestler Chris Jericho's catchphrase "Raw is Jericho!" was an inspiration for the title.


Last night's episode of Arrow would have been a perfect Halloween episode. Alas, it came out one week too late. In any case, "Haunted" marks an historic point. Not only does "Haunted" serve as an occasion for Matt Ryan to reprise the role of John Constantine but, honestly, its the primary reason I started watching Arrow again.


Now, I didn't stop watching Arrow because I disliked the show. Not all. Rather, I fell behind. As of today, the remaining five episodes of the show's freshman season have yet to be seen by my eyes. By the time that the second season aired, I decided that I would watch those remaining episodes along with any future ones via DVD. Even as I watched the Flash last year, my growing renewed interest in regularly following the adventures of Team Arrow stayed noncommittal.


That ended with premiere of Arrow's fourth season. I am quite glad that I started watching again. Don't have Netflix and as much as I like Gotham its still no substitute for four-color street vigilante heroics. Arrow still holds its appeal when beloved shows such as The X-Files no longer held that must-see feeling after a long hiatus. While I loved the gritty, realistic take and sequential nature of the flashbacks from the first season, I find I like the optimism of the more four-color super-heroics just as much if not more. Arrow has ditched the romantic staples of the typical CW show. Otherwise, Oliver and Laurel would still have a 'will they or won't they' vibe to them. Doesn't hurt that Arrow's fourth season is fairly accessible to a guy who hasn't seen any of the second and third season. Another plus is the gradual origin and development of Mr. Terrific. Looking forward to him officially joining Team Arrow. Furthermore, the interconnectedness of Arrow and Flash exemplifies what a shared comic-based universe should be on television.


All said, it was the arrival of one John Constantine that brought me back to Arrow. Absolutely loved the short-lived show on NBC along with actor Matt Ryan's portrayal of the character. So when I heard that the actor would reprise the role of the character on an episode of Arrow, I had to see it. And it was good. "Haunted" did an excellent job of tying John Constantine into what previously had been a more street-level show. We learn how Oliver and John met along with the draw that brought Constantine to Star City. In regular DC proper, Constantine is more the guest character that comes in and offers his mystic advice pertaining to things supernatural. That was his appearance in "Haunted" to a 'T'. Not only that but Matt Ryan's portrayal loses none of its swagger; and my fandom is pleased. Hopefully, John Constantine's appearance on Arrow was not a one-shot deal and is more of a harbinger of future appearances in CWDC.

No comments: