Tuesday, November 10, 2015

ANAD Marvel New January #1's

Well, I have lost a bit of blogging momentum as I several entries that I have yet to complete. What better way than to break that logjam than an old stand-by via my blogging my thoughts on the new slate of #1's that debut in January (solicited during November) as part of Marvel's All-New, All-Different (ANAD) initiative? Probably should check my astonishment at the sheer size of the new volumes debuting during January; however, Marvel did say that they were releasing sixty new series as part of ANAD. Marvel does deserve praise for the timed-releases as more obscure titles have a greater chance of surviving. Something DC should realize... Since its the month of November, my buy/impulse/pass rating should be taken with a grain of salt. By now, I am still figuring which of October's releases I'll retain. Generally takes me a couple months to decide - provided I keep up. Furthermore, I want my commentary on ANAD to extend beyond solicitations so I may try titles that I would avoid otherwise.


Here they are:
  • Old Man Logan - I never read the original Old Man Logan story. Quite frankly, I'm still burned out on reading Wolverine regularly. However, the concept of an elderly Logan trying to prevent his bleak future from happening combined with the sample art provided is enough to pique my interest. Never say never.
  • Captain Marvel - Nitpick aside I could do without them co-opting Alpha Flight to be the name of the space program that protects Earth from extraterrestrial threats. Otherwise, if there was a time read the adventures of Carol Danvers I think now would be the time as she leads that particular erstwhile organization. The fact that two of the creators behind the show Agent Carter, ie Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters, helps greatly.
  • Rocket Raccoon & Groot - Why they had solo series for both Rocket and Groot boggles my mind as much of their appeal stems from their buddy relationship. Since I collected both, sign me up for this one.
  • Spider-Man/Deadpool - Once upon a time, Deadpool was but a mere, minor character. Shocking, right? Then during the late 90's there was a cult comic starring the Merc with the Mouth that comic fans raved about. Many compared it to the glory of early Spider-Man. Sadly, I never had the pleasure of reading that Deadpool run. Fast-forward to January and that very creative team returns to Deadpool. Not only that but a certain aforementioned web-slinger will be co-starring as well. This may actually be my first non-team Deadpool comic...
  • Silver Surfer - Wait, isn't this the same creative team...? Absolutely hate forced re-numberings if nothing changes. Silver Surfer showing someone the unknown aspects of Earth could be neat and I like the creative team of Slott and Allred. Maybe.
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - I like the television series that's inspired by this series. The notion of more regular Deathlok appearances appeals to me. Frankly, the comic may be closer to what people expected of the show during its first season. Another we'll see title.
Solicitations were much, much vaguer and shorter than last month's. You either love the concept and creative team or you don't.


No comments: