Sunday, September 18, 2016

Star Trek 50th Anniversary Part One?

On September 9th, 1966, the very first episode of Star Trek was broadcast. Last Friday marks the 50th anniversary of the phenomenon. Originally, I meant to blog about the milestone last weekend but the best laid plans of mice and men... This is what I hope is my first installment celebrating 50 years of starship Enterprise and the Federation. I say hope because I still haven't finished my Dark Horse Comics celebration... In any case, I'll kick it off commenting on several links discussing the celebration or things related to Trek.


Star Trek Discovery Delayed? - The Star Trek franchise deserves to be done right so I'm fine with them giving themselves some extra time to hone the special effects. Although to be fair, I'm neutral about the exact time Discovery airs. Streaming hour long shows, let alone an entire season, simply isn't an option for me. So I hope the newest Trek winds up on DVD at some point. However, based on the fact Daredevil hasn't yet, doesn't leave with much hope... Hmm, what would Roddenberry think? What the hope and all... Okay, bad joke...


Discovery Comic and Novel Tie-ins - Guess, it's official there will be comic book and novel tie-ins for the new show Star Trek Discovery. As if there was ever any doubt. May actually be my first exposure to the characters from the new show. Thought the same about the Peter Capaldi Doctor Who and was wrong about that...


Star Trek Anniversary Trailer - Here's an incredible trailer, which celebrates fifty years of Star Trek with scenes from the various Star Trek movies (Original, Next Gen, and Abrams-verse). Worth seeing.


Star Trek Does Lovecraft - Never really thought of the Best of Both Worlds, simply one of the best TNG stories ever, as Lovecraftian in tone. Part of that may be I had yet to be introduced to the works of HP Lovecraft at the time. The other being that may have seen Best of Both Worlds I and II as reruns and thus the Borg were not unknowns and could be defeated. Then again, I watched a lot, and I do mean a lot, of TNG with a span of years so episode chronology is fuzzy with me. Will say the Lovecraft, and Clive Bark Hellraiser-esque, overtones will certainly lead me to view the story from a different perspective.


A Not So Spectacular Celebration? - Here's a piece elaborating that both CBS and Paramount dropped the ball on celebrating 50 years of Trek. Go on read it. Okay, done? I'm inclined to agree. Other than Star Trek Beyond, which wasn't marketed as an anniversary film, the announcement of Star Trek Discovery, and several celebratory magazine specials (TV Guide, Time, Entertainment Weekly, Star Trek magazine, etc.), one may not have know that 2016 marked Star Treks fiftieth year of existence. I suppose as the article alluded to that just enough was offered to Trek fans (I know longer know the proper fan term, is it Trekkies or Trekkers now?) to give hope.


Hope. The one word that defines Star Trek from all other sci-fi franchises. Hope that more movies will come. Hope that once more a Star Trek show will grace our screens. Hope that more comics, novel, and other tie-in merchandise will continue to satisfy our fandom. Hope that I'll actually get to watch Star Trek Discovery. Finally, hope that this blog entry will not be sole entry celebrating Trek's 50 years.

No comments: