Thursday, December 3, 2015

New ANAD Marvels trickle in February

Not sure what's more surprising, the light number of new number ones or my disappointment at that low number. February marks the month when Marvel dramatically slows down the deluge of brand-new #1's as part of its All-New, All-Different initiative (ANAD). Only three new titles debut during the month of February as part of ANAD. Quite frankly, I am surprised at my disappointment at such a low number of new debuts as months ago I expressed skepticism at the large number of new titles. Perhaps, ANAD has brought back my love of Marvel that lay dormant since Civil War a decade ago. Probably helps that every month I discussed my views on each new title's solicitation, eh?


Spider-Man #1 - Not another Peter Parker title. For the first time in a long, long time, a new Spider-Man title where Peter Parker is not the main character under suit. Brian Michael Bendis ushers his creation, Miles Morales, into the mainstream Marvel Universe with this issue.  Quite the noteworthy event! The solicitation implies that Miles will be the primary Spider-Man operating in New York City (suppose its because Peter Parker is too busy globe-trotting). Not sure if I'll buy this or not.


Avenger Standoff: Welcome to Pleasant Hill #1 - A one-shot about an ominous town where everyone keeps tabs on each other. Apparently, Pleasant Hill plays a major role in Spring's big Avengers event. Maybe


Power Man and Iron Fist #1 - Luke Cage and Danny Rand are back together as the Heroes for Hire! Not a big fan of the cover artist but I'm in the mood for classic street-level Power Man & Iron Fist action. Probably will check it out.


Deadpool & the Mercs for Money #1 (of 5) - Don't normally buy min-series and wouldn't count this as a brand-new number one; however I'm excited by this motley band of mercenaries led by Deadpool. Okay, I am also surprised by how many Deadpool-starring titles that elicit interest in me. Points for ANAD.  Believe it or not, its not because of the upcoming film. In any case,  the 90's were my golden age of comic book collecting as I controlled the majority of the purchasing decisions. I became aware of characters such as Foolkiller, Terror, Solo, and Stingray during that time. So a book starring them excites me. The Parental Advisory leads me to believe all sorts of carnage will occur. I'm leaning towards yes.

No comments: