Monday, June 25, 2018

Really Don't Buy Comics From Flea Markets I Realize



First back issue comics books I collected were acquired from a flea market.


They were two issues of Amazing Spider-Man. One involving the Molten Man's death (don't worry he got better) and another was a chapter in the original Roger Stern written Hobgoblin saga.


Never knew how much they cost. My dad bought them for me. I was younger than 12. Maybe younger than nine years old. More on this later...


From that day forward, I became a life-long fan of flea markets AND a life-long fan of scrounging for comic books. Checking the tables for comics and rifling through them is a must. I rate flea markets on whether comic books were there. No comics. Poor flea market.


Yet I don't recall the last time I bought a comic book from a flea market. Closest I can recall was a trade paperback containing stories from Marvel's Golden Age as Timely. Almost two decades ago.


Still, as recently as today, I attended a flea market. Missed only one booth with comics. Every other table, I scanned through the comic books upon the table. Nada. Zilch. Didn't buy a single one. Despite several catching my eye.


Maybe it's the condition of the comic? My golden age as a collector was during the Speculator Bubble. Condition is important to me - although it shouldn't. Many comics at flea markets are... overpriced for condition.


Not enough cash? Flea markets are a cash economy. My FLGCS doesn't receive cash from me when I buy my comics. Plus, there's opportunity cost inherent. If I buy a comic here, then I can't buy a comic I would've liked more later.


I already buy enough? - Suppose the sheer volume of new material and reprints I purchase deters my zeal.


Easy access to back issues at stores, in trades, digitally? - Digital and trades have replaced my zest for back issues. Very much got to have a specific issue.


Price? - Think this plays a huge role. As I never bought those flea market back issues, the price never was an issue. Nowadays, it very much is. Tables at flea markets cost money. Meaning prices I may be unwilling to subsidize because of cheaper alternatives.


Don't get me wrong. I still love flea markets. Love browsing comics there. In many ways, it replaces browsing for comics inside comic shops for me. The thrill of the hunt!


Perhaps one day I will find the flea market comic book I absolutely must have.


Next time.

No comments: