Saturday, June 30, 2018

DC's New Subscription Service Looks Promising



When the news broke over DC starting its own streaming service, I was favorably inclined but leery about paying for another streaming service. The DC fanboy in me was excited at the prospect. However, I don't keep up with Hulu, Netflix, WWE Network, and regular TV. Heck, Britbox and GFW/TNA/Impact/whatever they're calling themselves now are on my radar too. DC's new streaming service's offerings would need to be deep.


New programming I can't get elsewhere.


Old programming I'd really need to scrounge for.


Today, I details and teaser trailer for the new subscription service have been unveiled. Bleeding Cool News reported some details here.


Heck, DC released a teaser trailer for the new DC Universe subscription service as well here.


Titans, Doom Patrol, the next season of Young Justice definitely checks the box for new programming.


Is Swamp Thing a new iteration or the old show?


Snippets from the animated movies, old movies like Supergirl, and the short-lived TV show Constantine certainly satisfy the old material criteria. Okay, okay, Constantine is available on CW Seed. I'm excited for the potential such older shows such as the 90's Flash and Superboy could become available as well. Rights pending of course....


All that? A Hulu-like price is reasonable.


A community forum is a nice touch. How many use message boards nowadays with social media though?


Being able to read older DC Comics. What do we have here now... Depending on the depth and size of the selection this could very well be a DC Digital Comics Unlimited tacked onto streaming service. Although I suppose even if it's limited to more recent offerings along with evergreen stories it wouldn't be so bad.


If DC Universe is *cough* universal in scope and demonstrates signs of expansion with the new content over time ala the WWE Network, I would be willing to pay WWE Network prices.


Verdict: The DC Universe Subscription is mighty tempting. Think I will sign up for the Beta in August.


Next time.



No comments: