Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Five Take-Aways: Shadowrun Missions (5E) 6/26/18



Last Tuesday night organized play gaming event at my FLGCS I attended was back in March. Shadowrun Mission events were cancelled the last couple months. After a two month delay, there finally was another Shadowrun Missions event at my FLGCS. Tonight, not only was able to play Shadowrun, but participate in playing on Tuesday night at my favorite local game and comics store!


Know what that means?


Another installment of my five take-aways!


Experience level gap isn't detrimental - Many among my group of players have been participating in the Chicago for all 4 seasons now. A couple PC's karma totals qualify them for Prime Runner status. Neither of us  (yes, my combat mage is among the two) considers our characters Prime Runners cause of choices made although I could see our characters potentially become unbalancing if they were involved in the Neo-Tokyo arc. There a PC who've been used in multiple modules. Tonight, a new player with a brand new PC not only started this module but thrived. None of the less experienced characters burdened the more experienced ones. Really can't claim that with D&D.


Smoke sucks for human spell-slingers - My human combat mage's attack spells were countered because one combat occurred in a smoke-filled area. Rolling half my dice, or close to, hurt my PC's effectiveness substantially. Unlike previous combat encounters, may character didn't have the time nor was it advantageous to bypass the situation visually by using astral perception.


Couple abilities led to some feel-good impact - Back when I selected the metamagic technique of spell shaping, the table consisted of several close combat fighters. One module afterward and the table shifted to 'bring a gun to a knife fight' crowd. Other circumstances there were too many friendlies. Tonight, spell shaping meant a PC who really couldn't afford any friendly fire didn't catch any. Later on, my hermetic magician used the last service of  his bound water spirit's illusion power of concealment to aid the group sneak by in a tricky situation. The GM adjudicated the power as aiding a test. Otherwise, the situation was written mechanically that the  power's influence was superfluous. Still, the  concealment power boosted our confidence anyway.


Composure was taken for granted - Up until this module, Composure tests were infrequent and the result didn't feel like they made or broke a module for PC or table. After tonight, no more! I suspect Composure rolls will continue to be of importance as the Chicago arc finishes for us. May have to increase the corresponding attributes...


Mages and spirits are truly anime-watch-me-build-up characters - The decker really was ineffective for one pass until he could hop into hot-sim and deal with the more Matrix vulnerable characters. Okay, the opposing decker's failure to mark the decker PC aided substantially so perceptions could be colored. The ranged characters whom are built like snipers lived up to one shot, one kill mantra. Our troll tank could just tank and pull out a LMG to drastically tilt things. Okay, the face adept didn't decisively impact any of the battles but everything meritorious didn't require much time. My magician and summoned/bound spirits required time to buff up so to speak. Visual penalties? Do I have time to spend a pass astrally perceiving? Is it worth the risk? Many spells work best with prep time. Spirits? Did I have the spirit called to me? Is the spirit on the appropriate plane (physical or astral) to engage an opponent in combat? Would the snipers kill the opposing NPCs before I could go through the command protocol or the spirits have time to act? Spell-slinging/spirit commanding magicians are literally like the anime character standing there powering up.


Anyway, those are my Five Take-Aways from tonight's Tuesday Night Game.


Happy Gaming,


Next time.





No comments: