Monday, October 31, 2016

Halloween '16: Was Game Night at my FLCGS Trick or Treat?

This night on All Hallow's Eve while many went trick or treating, I went to my favorite local comics and games shop to play some Shadowrun (Missions) and pick up some treats in the form free comics courtesy of Halloweenfest (which I was unable to attend Saturday). Other than that I didn't dress up nor expected any candy.


To my surprise, there was indeed candy! So that was nice treat.


I admit I did dread a trick and that there may not have been any leftover comics from Saturday's Halloweenfest. Fortunately, that was not the case, and the Great Comic delivered comics to all the good Matts. Among my haul were: Afterlife with Archie Season Two, The Three Stooges Halloween Hullabaloo, Wraithborn, Harrow County #1 (a Halloween printing of the first issue), Evil Dead 2 Beyond Dead by Dawn #1 (Halloween printing... and didn't I just review a comic that came after this one? One "question" may just be answered), Tomie, Quilte, and Kitaro: Strange Fun for Everyone. Hopefully, if my usual comic book reading pattern doesn't hold up, I may very well have reviews tomorrow as part of my All Saints' Day blog entry! Heck, if I finish soon enough it could still be another Samhain entry as technically the Celtic holiday spanned from dusk to dusk.


So Halloween was all treat, right? Alas, the game I waited an entire month to play, Shadowrun 5E via the Shadowrun Missions organized play, was cancelled due to lack of players. So a bit of a trick. Fortunately, all was not lost as there was an unexpected treat or two. One, we were able to squeeze in a three player table D&D (5E) Adventurer's League with the mod DDEX3-12 Hillsfar Reclaimed. Two, I got to play my level 2 Half-Orc Barbarian again whom I hadn't played since the session during which I quickly created the character. Coincidentally, it's also the second time I played Hillsfar Reclaimed. A review and quasi-game write-ups are forthcoming in future blog post.


Okay, I'll spoil it a little as there two or three treats embedded in the session. One, the session went incredibly well. My character leveled to boot! Two, remember how I said I didn't wear a costume? Well, at some point during the mod, my character got to wear a costume. Not a very imaginative costume; but I went a couple trick or treat sessions with a similar approach. Three, Grogg (now level 3 Half-Orc Barbarian) acquired his first magical item! Although a rather bizarre item for a barbarian... I'll save it for during a review entry complete with plenty of spoiler warnings.


All in all, I had an excellent Halloween during Monday Night Game Night.


Happy Halloween!

No comments: