Thursday, October 13, 2016

A Regular, Weekly Game Night is a Positive Thing

My original intention was not to write an essay of sorts. Instead, I was going to write about the latest weekly session that I have been able to squeeze into my schedule. Then, the question on whether I should write such session reports per session or one big chunk since multiple characters for both Shadowrun and D&D 5E Organized Play could comprise multiple blog entries per character.


Then, it hit me. At the start of the year, I resolved to game more. No small feat for someone who hasn't played a regular role-playing game in years. Years. Granted, I'd occasionally game during small stints of time; but a brief window that was. Before my hiatus, I used to game a lot. Gaming was a hobby that at times was more like a lifestyle. However, as much as gaming meant to me, I've never considered gaming to be my life. In fact,  right before my hiatus, I had an epiphany that gaming was most certainly not my life. So I allowed the hiatus and never took steps to remedy it.


Yeah, rather funny for a guy who writes a blog about games, isn't it? Then again, the hiatus mirrored the hiatus from blogging. Really only started gaming semi-regularly, once I started writing my blog again. Sort of Worm Ouroborous (sp?) isn't it? Okay, I may have botched that particular reference. Still haven't read that particular gaming inspiration yet.


A month. Two months ago, I wrote an entry about starting six-plus weeks of regular gaming. Easily, the longest stretch of a weekly game (Shadowrun (5E) Missions, D&D 5E Adventurer's League) in my life in quite some time. Okay, I may be rambling a bit but bear with me. At the time, I thought I'll do this for a bit then go back to the occasional, maybe once a month role-playing game session. However, I near the end of my regular weekly game. Or at least my planned blog.


I have come to the conclusion I missed playing a weekly game. Not in the sense, I must game each week. But the routine is nice. I have become used to the environs. I am used to the other players. The other players are used to me. Lack of continuity and being confined to the module is no longer seen as a minus. Each individual gaming session doesn't bear higher expectations because there'll be another session. More to the point I feel better. A regular role-playing game day/night is something to look forward to. Much more important, it's something to look forward that my participation matters. A role-playing game session is different because I am there than when I am not there. Sure, I could look forward to the next sporting event but whether I watch it, be it on the screen or in person, it is immaterial. Plus, by looking forward to the next game session, it centers me.


So that said, I'm glad I had the chance to game for more than four weeks straight. While I plan to make regular gaming a thing now, I'll accept it if I cannot. Rather glad, I had the experience. Perhaps, I'll have such an experience again, whether it be subtle such as no halts to mentioning gaming sessions or overt such as blog entries proclaiming the fact.


happy gaming

No comments: