Saturday, May 28, 2016

Finale: Arrow's "Schism" and Flash's "Race of his Life"

Earlier this week, the seasons finales of Arrow's Season Four and Flash Season Two aired. Since I enjoyed writing my personal highlights of Legend's of Tomorrow's finale, I figured I'd so again.


Warning: Here spoilers lay.




Arrow Season 4: Schism
Compared to the Flash finale I was a tad underwhelmed. May have been the plot holes. May have been how the show resolved the underdog situation Ollie was in. May have been that I have yet to watch three recorded episodes so didn't have the full narrative cohesion going for me. Kind of funny though since I still have yet to watch 5 Flash episodes and didn't experience that with the Flash finale. Perhaps I'll appreciate the finale more once the season is out on DVD or when season 5 airs.


Highlights:
  • Either I missed the episode where Ollie repelled Dahrk's magic using other's support or I just wasn't paying attention. So I missed the narrative connection and was wondering how Green Arrow channeled the support of Star City residents to nullify Dahrk's magic. In some ways, its evocative of how Captain America defeated Nightmare during Waid's and Kubert's Heroes Return run when he channeled the power of the American Dream. Still it led to an awesome scene where GA and Star City took on Dahrk and Ghosts.
  • Ollie rallying and inspiring the crowd.
  • While it really pushed my suspension of disbelief, I did find Holt and Felicity hacking the nuclear warhead rather cool.
  • After four seasons of 'Star City is dying!', Season 5 may mark the beginning of its rebirth (not a shout out to the comics event).
  • Oliver Queen becoming mayor.
  • The end of Damian Dahrk. Normally, I am a huge fan of returning bad guys. However, Dahrk is much, much too powerful for the DC-CW-U as it currently stands.
  • Felicity and Oliver are back together. Okay, I may not necessarily be a fan of Olicity. I dislike the CW's idea of romantic tension. Oliver and Felicity could remain just friends and I would have been fine with that.
Flash Season Two: "Race of His Life"
What an spectacular episode with an unbelievable finish!


Highlights:
  • Cisco vibing in such a manner that he contacted Earth-2!
  • Watching the non-powered, support characters take on Zoom.
  • Zoom creating a time remnant.
  • Wally serving as emotional center who convinces the rest of the group to go along with Barry's plan.
  • Caitlyn projection.
  • Zoom's master plan to cause the rest of the multiverse to collide except Earth-One. Reminded me of Crisis of Infinite Earths. One scene was especially evocative of a key moment for the Flash during that maxi-series.
  • Black Flash appeared!
  • Flash using Zoom's own advice to beat Zoom.
  • Return of the time wraiths.
  • Black Flash!
  • When it was revealed that 'Jay' was Zoom, I suspected that the Man in the Iron Mask was the real Jay Garrick. I was right! However, the best part of the revelation...
  • The real Jay Garrick is Henry Allen's counterpart in a different Earth! Was a huge fan of the Flash show back in the 90's when John Wesley-Shipp portrayed the Flash so this was huge bonus for me. Absolutely loved it when Jay wears the traditional Jay garb at the end.
  • Barry travelling back in time to save his mother from Reverse-Flash was absolutely staggering! The ramifications for the show and the rest of the CW-DC-U are absolutely mind-boggling! Needless to say, the 2016-2017 season has my attention.
  •  

No comments: